Bavaria on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice looking car...

The later seats and the automatic are probably going to hold it back some.

Rare power windows.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like a nice original car. Should do as well as the 2500 that just sold for $17K.

Funny thing, it has the same blaupunkt cassette that I recently removed from my coupe.
Local radio “guru” said it wasn’t period correct. o_O

0038B5C7-C234-46BE-802C-F600BF908AA3.jpeg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did the 1972 cars have the Fasten Seatbelt light on the dash?

Pretty sure they did. My coupe had it, I removed it and had the holes filled when I had the dash redone at 'Just Dashes'. I've had a couple of 72 02s with the Fasten Seatbelt light.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Amazingly clean with leather and power windows.
Very clean.

The seats (front and rear) are out of a later 5 series. They are leather, but I'm too used to looking at stock seats and they don't appeal to me even though they are leather. The color does not match the door cards either.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where does one source the hood pad set (for coupe) as seen on this car?

Attachments

• Bav hood pad set quilted.JPG
    Bav hood pad set quilted.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 73

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seats (front and rear) are out of a later 5 series. They are leather, but I'm too used to looking at stock seats and they don't appeal to me even though they are leather. The color does not match the door cards either.

Good eye. They may not be correct for that year but they are e3 seats. 1974+. As far as the color goes, it is the same pale pigskin that you would find on an e9. It definitely fades over time also, and ultimately doesn’t match the vinyl door cards.

BaT Listing:
1D2252D5-BC39-4E10-BB3D-ED62EFB12737.jpeg

6686C16A-7900-4E75-A35A-5FAEF3BC996E.jpeg

1974 brochure: You can barely make out the black hinge:
DF5D8074-472F-4388-B0AD-1E7977D4ECA5.jpeg

As seen here in detail:

The five series began in 1972 with the e12. All but the earliest e12’s had what are now normal headrest posts. The overlap with the e3 and the e12 is not unlike the 2000CS and the 2800cs from a design standpoint. They both seem very dated compared to their contemporary counterparts.

Anyway, here is a 1972 520. You can see the early headrests with the shoulder-width posts. Note the back bolster on the rear bench.
1168BDAA-7AB2-425D-A997-F8B70D71A384.jpeg

AB4D5BE4-9A62-4BF3-8944-87AE4CDF3E47.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good eye.

...and yours is even better :) . Thanks for the correction and the details.

The listing does say that the original seats are available with the car. With the pictured condition of the carpets, headliner, and door cards, and the mileage shown of 80k, I would think the original seats are still in good condition.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They look nothing like my 79 528i seats as Markos points out. These front seats even have trim on front seat backs and pigskin I think was discontinued in 1973.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I spoke with the seller tonight. He is a nice guy, but not a "car guy". He does say the back seat is original, but the front seats were sourced out of a 5 series. He had to build adapters to mate them to the stock seat tracks. Because of this, they sit about 3" taller than stock. I don't think that would work very well for a tall driver.

Here are the front seats in that car...

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 6.46.00 PM.png

Note how both the bottom cushion pattern and back rest do not match the rear seat

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 6.46.21 PM.png

Neither the fronts nor the back match the brochure that Marcos posted.

Another BMW rabbit hole. o_O

Christoph

Reaction score
Looks like an overall nice car. In Europe maybe the pictures would have sufficed but I've already learned in America people are used to more professional presentation.
P 1 - Wheelarch trim. Not something to expect on a Bavaria. The front ones are very delicate and often short-lived. Which means they are near unobtainable, at least east of the Atlantic.
P 4 - Rear panel painted. BMW stopped that about early summer 1972. Exact date? May depend on the colour, probably until the stocks were used up. Nice item in any case.
P 13 - Always like to see the tank lid with the curved horizontal trim part. Quite exotic except for America. Some Italian cars had it, too.
P 27 & 31 & previous posts - Front seats may come from an E3 Series 3 of 1973/74. Wide-post headrests and early rear sides. New seats similar to the E12 arrived about the beginning of 1975. The cut of the upholstery is all Series 3. no changes between 73/sep and 77/feb. Of course the seats do not fit. BMW modified the seat mounting consoles with the introduction of Series 3. Not easily interchangeable between Series 1 & 2 and Series 3.
P 28 - Series 2 cut upholstery, excellent condition. Correct short armrest.
P 32 - Angular door handles. Standard with electric windows (and on all LWB E3).
The more you look at it the nicer it gets. All the expensive parts seem in great shape: doorpanels, carpets, headliner, trim, the whole boot etc. Leaves only the front seats to address. And maybe a four-speed box for Christmas.