Bavaria parts interchange

CookeD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is there a link anywhere regarding the parts that will interchange between a CS and a Bavaria (1972)? Other than the obvious mechanical components ahead of the firewall and the transmission, I'm wondering how much I can use/keep as spares for my CS from a bargain donor Bavaria.

TIA,

John

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
What won't fit

Rear crossmember and suspension parts (but diffs are the same), driveshaft and halfshafts (but CV joints ok), rear brakes (solid rotors, not vented like CS), most body parts, glass, interior, rear muffler, gas tank.

You are more likely to have problems with year-to-year changes. For instance, I believe the locks interchange, but there are 3 or 4 different sets fitting different years.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Re: What won't fit

Rear crossmember and suspension parts (but diffs are the same), driveshaft and halfshafts (but CV joints ok), rear brakes (solid rotors, not vented like CS), most body parts, glass, interior, rear muffler, gas tank.

You are more likely to have problems with year-to-year changes. For instance, I believe the locks interchange, but there are 3 or 4 different sets fitting different years.

Some of the interior does not fit, like the center console, the doors, the wood, the underpanels, and the dash.

CookeD

Reaction score
Thanks fellas... I know most of the visible body/interior parts don't interchange (except for the ash trays, hee hee...); what I was thinking of with the question were under-the-skin parts such as wiper motors, heater blowers, power window motors, halfshafts, diff, rear control arms, etc... Essentially anything I could plan on keeping from the Bav for a CS that will eventually wear out or that I could prep on the shelf and replace at my leisure.

Based on this, I was hoping to find a link where Bav to CS interchanges have been spelled out. I need another car like a hole in my head, but this thing is literally in my back yard for next to nothing. So, it's more that I'm trying to gauge the worth of dragging it home by the amount of parts that I can strip/shelve for later.

Anyway, taking a look tomorrow just to see what's there...

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Try this site RealOEM.com and do a search for the parts you have in question.It immediately shows you all BMW models that use that same part.I think most of the stuff you mentioned is interchangeable,it's the body work and interior that differ.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Blue Books & Mobile Tradition Parts List?

Quite a bit of cross reference can be derived from the Blue Books, since these address the 2500 through the 3.0CSi. Granted, it isn't a this-fits-that.
I bought the Mobile Tradition e9 parts books from Carl Nelson. He might have similar binders for the e3. For around $140 you could get both sets, leaving little doubt about the compatibility of just about everything (except the really esoteric stuff, like headliner hardware.) The parts books also show up on ebay from time to time.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Just gone through this

with my E3 3.3L.
Yes, windscreen wipers,window motors etc will fit.
what I suggest is strip off whatever you can as what you dont use you can always swop out or gift to someone working up a Bav

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e3 parts that fit e9, from memory (i.e., take with salt):

Engine and trans, of course

All front suspension and steering except steering shaft through firewall.

Front subframe

Rear cross member and mounts

Brake booster and MC

Brake calipers are maybe -- depends on if the e3 you get has the same brake setup as your e9. All vented calipers interchange, as do all non-vented. If the Bav has vented, keep the calipers as all you need to do is buy the rotors.

Rear cross member (not swingarms)

Much if not all of the switchgear, just check for right side vs. left side turn signal switch

The ugly side marker lights

The headlamp carriers and grills

Pretty much anything under the hood

Front door latches and associated hardware

Window motors

Heater fan and A/C fan, but not the complete HVAC assembly

Differential, rear diff mount and halfshafts

E-brake handle

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Rear crossmembers may not be interchangeable

They have different part numbers and I think I checked them years ago and they weren't the same.