BBS wheel paint question

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am trying to return my stock BBS basketweave wheels to original silver. Two of the center caps are discolored and possibly a clear coat that yellowed. Looking for recommendations. Any easy way to remove or just paint over it?
2C0E2549-2DB3-4CC2-94D6-BF6838DB69B5.jpeg

Last edited:
They need to be prepped. Nothing simple really, some sanding, chemical cleaning, etc. Your challenge will be matching the paint on the wheels.

They need to be prepped. Nothing simple really, some sanding, chemical cleaning, etc. Your challenge will be matching the paint on the wheels.
OK, sand with 320 grit? Chemical? What chemical - I know nothing in this arena.

I would do a test run on the back of one with either Bix or an equivalent stripper. It is a gel so a drop will stay a drop. See how it reacts with the underlying metal. If no issue, brush it on, walk away, come back and hour later. This stuff is strong so must be used with good ventilation. There are more user friendly strippers but the more user friendly, the less effective. I know it will take off the clear coat, not sure about what's under that. I know zero about media blasting but others may comment.

I just went through this with the earlier style center caps. I found conventional paint stripper doesn’t really work well enough to not make it a royal pain to remove the paint in all the groves. As bavbob said, you need to use an acid based remover like Bix to not spend hours on them. Just don’t leave it on too long or you will etch the aluminum. At least on my earlier style caps you must remove all the paint and be careful to not put on too thick of new coating or the clearances will be too tight for you to assemble or turn the center nut. As far as paint color, I was converting from gold so I just had the shop use standard auto paint silver that is used on modern BMW wheels. I could get the paint code if you are interested.
693096A5-EB40-433E-9905-91FEEDC13F45.jpeg

Back