BC collector plates attempt

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first attempt at getting collector plates for the ‘72 Bav was not a success. ICBC (insurance corporation of BC) failed me for the hood liner crumbling away. Fair that made sense. The little thing that irked me was they also failed me on the engine bay decals for being faded. Plus them not knowing that the trunk hood tool kit was optional equipment with mine not having that option.

Luckily eBay sells OEM looking engine bay decals from what I believe belong to the e21 or e30. Decals are pretty much identical to the e3. Also Maximillion imports has stock of the e3 hood liner. I’ve also provided icbc with the original BMW Bavaria brochure to show that the tool kit was optional equipment for the North American market.

So here we go again attempt number 2. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll have yearly coverage for less then half the cost and the bav will be enjoyable on those seldom sunny winter days. Wish me luck!!

Attached is the Bav brochure and a pic of the engine bay.

Attachments

• EF64888D-5484-44C7-B9DF-7B109A96423C.jpeg
    EF64888D-5484-44C7-B9DF-7B109A96423C.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 1B6E0618-4FDD-4F5A-AAF6-186C0A3FE540.jpeg
    1B6E0618-4FDD-4F5A-AAF6-186C0A3FE540.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 60

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice brochure.
I'm confused about collector plates vs insurance and how the insurance co is super concerned about the condition of your hood liner and the fading of your stickers. Is the issuance of lower-cost collector insurance dependent on the car being in top shape, ie to match up with a stated value? I don't know Canadian rules but here collector plates are simply age related, not condition related.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice brochure.
I'm confused about collector plates vs insurance and how the insurance co is super concerned about the condition of your hood liner and the fading of your stickers. Is the issuance of lower-cost collector insurance dependent on the car being in top shape, ie to match up with a stated value? I don't know Canadian rules but here collector plates are simply age related, not condition related.
Collector plates and insurance coverage are tied together here in BC. When eligible you get the fancy collector plates but that also incudes driving restrictions.

Ex) you can’t drive the vehicle to and from work.

It’s basically icbc way to insure that the vehicle is in good collectible condition and not a rust bucket run a bout daily driver that happens to be 25 years or older. They want you to keep it in good shape Sunday driver kind of deal. When that’s met you get the plates and the collector status coverage that is way cheaper then a daily driver insurance coverage.

jmackro

Reaction score
It’s basically icbc way to insure that the vehicle is in good collectible condition and not a rust bucket run a bout daily driver that happens to be 25 years or older.
I can understand an insurance company wanting to make sure that they aren't assigning a a rust bucket a $25,000 valuation . But it seems a little obsessive to demand perfect underhood decals.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The same type of use restrictions also apply here in the US for collector plates, but I don't believe there are any condition stipulations anywhere. Lower-cost collector insurance is available, but not connected to the licensing in any way.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Collector plates and insurance coverage are tied together here in BC.
Although not a BC resident, I believe ALL car insurance coverage is tied to licensing in BC. That is, the same organization that you licence a car through...you also insure it through (ICBC). The beauty of this is that if a BC registered car has current license plates, the insurance is also current. Can't have one without the other. There are downsides to this process that would never pass the "free market" tests in the US, but I like it. Although it's (likely) the law in all states that you have liability insurance, there is really no way to enforce it unless you are stopped for some other infraction. This leaves us with lots of cars out there with no insurance and higher rates when our insurance has to pay a claim for an accident that is not our fault. Also plenty of proven bad drivers that can't get insurance or it has been made too expensive to them due to their driving record.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although not a BC resident, I believe ALL car insurance coverage is tied to licensing in BC. That is, the same organization that you licence a car through...you also insure it through (ICBC). The beauty of this is that if a BC registered car has current license plates, the insurance is also current. Can't have one without the other. There are downsides to this process that would never pass the "free market" tests in the US, but I like it. Although it's (likely) the law in all states that you have liability insurance, there is really no way to enforce it unless you are stopped for some other infraction. This leaves us with lots of cars out there with no insurance and higher rates when our insurance has to pay a claim for an accident that is not our fault. Also plenty of proven bad drivers that can't get insurance or it has been made too expensive to them due to their driving record.
Correct, in BC Auto insurance and licensing is a BC government run corporation. There’s only private insurance for extra coverage if wanted.

Ex) you won’t be able to renew your drivers license or insurance if you have unpaid provincial tickets owing on your vehicles under your name.