Becker Europa II BIN $325.00

Yes, it does need the amplifier. I had one of these from a '73 MB 450SL, with amp that I sold a few years ago for about $500.
Will any amp work or does it have to be a specific Becker amp I assume it has a DIN connector in back maybe there is an adapter? Also do you know if this has the aux input for bluetooth (I think it does just asking).

Buy the Becker for looks, put in a bluetooth amp and stream from your phone :)
After trying to get my Becker to sound louder with less distortion, I gave up and did just this and added a subwoofer under my seat. If you use the Becker amp you can use the Bluetooth DIN adapter above which plugs into the back of the head unit. But the head unit alone is not powerful enough to drive a modern car amp unless it has a very sensitive input level, I couldn't find one that did. You could also use the Becker amp to feed the speaker level inputs of a power amp, but that didn't sound very good either.

After trying to get my Becker to sound louder with less distortion, I gave up and did just this and added a subwoofer under my seat. If you use the Becker amp you can use the Bluetooth DIN adapter above which plugs into the back of the head unit. But the head unit alone is not powerful enough to drive a modern car amp unless it has a very sensitive input level, I couldn't find one that did. You could also use the Becker amp to feed the speaker level inputs of a power amp, but that didn't sound very good either.
I expect this is a silly question, but what the heck...as configured with the Bluetooth amp, can you use (hear) the radio from the head unit?

I expect this is a silly question, but what the heck...as configured with the Bluetooth amp, can you use (hear) the radio from the head unit?
No, the way mine is wired I have the volume knob of the Becker switch on the blutooth and amp. That way when the Becker lights up I know my amp and sub are on.

Another option is having the guts replaced with a modern head, costs around $450 bucks but they work great.
Bluetooth, aux jack, etc. Add a bigger amp and speakers without issue. These days expect a long wait, chip supplies aren't getting better.
Have used Vintage Blau but they're kinda pricy, last job was done by Joe's Classic Car Radio in South Carolina. Recommended.

(I've done this to four radios so far, 3 Blaupunkt Frankfurts and 1 Becker Grand Prix)

This Becker need the amplifier?

Attachments

• E69AAAFB-4B99-4545-8993-A0EB1EB68428.jpeg
    E69AAAFB-4B99-4545-8993-A0EB1EB68428.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 91
  • D12EA29E-68AE-4447-A9A1-46ED2097C85F.jpeg
    D12EA29E-68AE-4447-A9A1-46ED2097C85F.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 89
+1 That's one of several available... if you can DIY electronics, unit costs are $125 - $150 or so. :cool:

This Becker need the amplifier?
All Becker radios up to 1972 are two-piece... from 1973 on they're one piece. But....

Lucky you! Looks like an early Europa II which has the amp built in, plus "Automatic Fine Tuning". Seven watts of powah!!

Hook it up and see how it sounds. All you need is a battery, some 12 gauge wire and a speaker.

+1 That's one of several available... if you can DIY electronics, unit costs are $125 - $150 or so. :cool:

All Becker radios up to 1972 are two-piece... from 1973 on they're one piece. But....

Lucky you! Looks like an early Europa II which has the amp built in, plus "Automatic Fine Tuning". Seven watts of powah!!

Hook it up and see how it sounds. All you need is a battery, some 12 gauge wire and a speaker.
Good news and confirmation of bad news... I tested it, the sound is very low... I don't need an amplifier, but the radio needs to be repaired...

Thank you!!

Another option is having the guts replaced with a modern head, costs around $450 bucks but they work great.
Bluetooth, aux jack, etc. Add a bigger amp and speakers without issue. These days expect a long wait, chip supplies aren't getting better.
Have used Vintage Blau but they're kinda pricy, last job was done by Joe's Classic Car Radio in South Carolina. Recommended.

(I've done this to four radios so far, 3 Blaupunkt Frankfurts and 1 Becker Grand Prix)
Restomod radio - I like it! Question though - can you get authentic replacement stickers for the radio chassis? I'm sure it's hard to open them up without messing up the inspected by sticker.

It appears Aurora now wants consumers to go through a dealer, which is a shame. Can't hurt to ask if they'll sell outright, though.

Prices are up significantly since my first swap. Components from other suppliers are here: https://www.vintagecarradio.com/stereo-conversions.html

And another here in SoFla: http://www.taymanelectrical.com/stereo.htm
Both of these feature the Aurora components. It appears that Vintage Car Radio will sell the components retail. Tayman Electrical specifically says they won't. The Aurora dealer page pointed me to a place in Washington (Bill the Radio Guy) that does the conversions with their components. It looks to be cheaper than Tayman's prices and is closer to me. That said, I doubt that these small operations have the bandwidth or resources to keep the pricing on their websites super up to date.

As an aside, I noticed this on Tayman's website:

Q. Will my radio look the same after conversion?​
A. In the dash, the radio will look 100% original. One slight change, if you have the digital HDRadio or DAB option we install an LED indicator as discretely as we can. Otherwise it is impossible to tell from the dash. In back, heat sinks and certain other components are removed, so the set may be a little smaller. We also clean and paint the case, and add Certification stickers as required.

Whew, I can sleep better already!

Back