becker mexico

For true retro I reinstalled the Blaupunkt yesterday with a Parker mount. FM works pretty well, AM mostly for strong stations (no ACG in 1972?), and no short wave stations. Does anybody know if the Blaupunkt dial is illuminated, and if so how to replace the lamp?

I suppose it would be too much to hope that they could reproduce the look without all the extraneous functions. I just want the thing to play music. I don't need my radio to tell me where to go; my wife would feel displaced.

I realize that I may be the last person on earth who can read a map and use a compass. Laugh it up, meatballs; if the network fails, I'll be happy to lead you to your destination for a small fee...

You're not the only one, Tony. The few times I've tried GPS in rental cars have been truly annoying experiences. Kind of amazing, but not as amazing as my wife's dead reckoning sense and on-the-fly map reading skills. It's kind of like The Force - I long ago learned not to argue with it; just go there.

On the highway, I've found GPS to be irrelevant, as it seems you need to have a mental image of the abstact character of the next few highway numbers into which you intend to flow anyway -- unless you don't want to think about where you're going and just be a sheep.

On back roads, GPS is useless; a case of garbage in (crappy database), garbage out (now you're really lost in the middle of freakin' nowhere).

In the city GPS just makes me crazy and act in the same way my grandmother would yell back at the television. A couple of years ago I tried using it in downtown SanFrancisco in a rental. The thing about city driving is that youre constantly changing your mind as you go about what street to take next. "Oops, that street's plugged up with traffic, let's try the next one" -- that's the brilliance of a block pattern. Meanwhile, the GPS is grouching at you about missing the street it suggested and tells you to turn around, regardless of what the cops might think. Finally it gives up on the previous route and insists on sharing the information that it's going to reprogram your route. Ppphhh. Shaddap! Click.

Ah. Feel better now.

Becker

I installed a Becker Europa II AM/FM Stereo unit I found on Ebay in my car. It looks great - glass & chrome face - very period correct. The only "modern" unit I considered is Nakamichi. The others, with leaping porpoises, hot air balloons, and other obnoxious graphics are too bling-bling for my taste. I had always thought Becker was far overrated and overpriced, but the sound quality of this unit is incredible. It's like my trusty, old, tube-style McIntosh unit at home - a very "warm" sound.

My 3.0S had the original Becker Mexico radio in it when I got it (it even had the stock amplifier, etc). It looked great (this retro one is a nice match) but then it broke and I stupidly discarded it :( I wish I still had that thing! Or, as Tony says, it would be nice if they made a retro one that just plays music (and, for me, doesn't cost more than my car did)

In the city GPS just makes me crazy and act in the same way my grandmother would yell back at the television. A couple of years ago I tried using it in downtown SanFrancisco in a rental. The thing about city driving is that youre constantly changing your mind as you go about what street to take next. "Oops, that street's plugged up with traffic, let's try the next one" -- that's the brilliance of a block pattern. Meanwhile, the GPS is grouching at you about missing the street it suggested and tells you to turn around, regardless of what the cops might think. Finally it gives up on the previous route and insists on sharing the information that it's going to reprogram your route. Ppphhh. Shaddap! Click.

Ah. Feel better now.

The *only* time I've ever used GPS was in a rental car. I used to work for a company based in Appleton WI. On one trip I got a rental car with GPS. For fun, I decided to let it guide me to the hotel. I punched in the requested info and headed out, following the prompts. It took me right to the hotel -- and then right on past it, another 6 or so miles down the road. When it finally announced that I had arrived, I was almost downtown, and the location it insisted was my hotel was an out-of-business gas station. For additional amusement, I tried to get it to tell me how to get back to the airport the next day. The Hertz DB is apparently unfamiliar with the Outagamie County Airport, because it wanted me to drive to Milwaukee...

exactly WTF is the point of this... "Send, receive and read out SMS messages". isn't that what i have a phone for? you're gonna look pretty stupid walking round talking into a 1960's stereo...

Back