Belt Trim Question: Can I put rear window in before belt trim?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My mini-restoration is proceeding well. We are just about to put the rear window back in, but don't have the chrome back for the belt trim. I was advised not to put the rear window back before the belt trim is installed though.

Can anyone explain why?

My shop doesn't understand and asked for clarification.

All the aluminum is not yet shined, and we want to get windows in beforehand.

Thanks very much.

Scott

I would wait. The rear window frames have a provision for accessing the nuts for the trim buy I would advise against installing the rear windows until the trim is installed.

I would wait. The rear window frames have a provision for accessing the nuts for the trim buy I would advise against installing the rear windows until the trim is installed.

Wish I knew that! I removed my trim by sticking my hand back there through the trunk. It's probably even more difficult with a '74 due to the support fins that come down from the inner fender wells.

Stan and I did I with windows in but don’t drop the nut.

I have a few nuts that I will recover when I remove my rear fenders. :)

If it fits, it probably doesn’t hurt to stick a welding magnet under the nut that you are working on. You just might catch it. I’m not convinced that you can reach the nut under the roundel on a 74 without using the handy access point.

The one in the trunk under C pillar is hardest to reach, stuff rags under it for when you drop it. Start it with two fingers and hope for the best.

When I had some work done around the back window on my coupe they put the window back in without the trim because they didn't have it. I looked at it, probed, prodded and researched and decided to take the window back out to put the trim in. My wife and did it together in about an hour so I'm glad I did it that way.

EDIT: My bad, I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the rear window gasket trim.

when i took mine off, i did it with the window in place, the holes worked fine. i used a snapon 1/4" drive carb adjuster. i put a small magnet in the socket and didn't drop a nut. i haven't reinstalled yet but i will try to do it the same way.

TM65.jpg

Back