best paint for a differential

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alright guys,
after lots of hot simple green extreme, brass wire wheeling, and scraping muck off with a putty knife, I'm almost ready to paint.

Q1: How are the output/side flanges retained onto the diff? I want to remove to replace the seals. I was hoping they'd be held on with a big-a** nut or bolt, but not so.

Q2: what do y'all recommend for paint. I can shoot it with self-etching catalyzed primer first to seal the surface and help adhesion (Dupont 615s, variprime)

John
P.S. it'll never be as nice as DQ's work, butat least it'll be cleaner than Stan's diff.

The output flanges can be pulled with a slide hammer or use something like a hammer's handle to wedge ithem out. They will pop out with a little persuasion.

VHT makes a very nice engine block paint and Eastwood makes a 2k catalyzed spray paint. Both work very well, the 2k paint is more durrable.

The output flanges can be pulled with a slide hammer or use something like a hammer's handle to wedge ithem out. They will pop out with a little persuasion.

VHT makes a very nice engine block paint and Eastwood makes a 2k catalyzed spray paint. Both work very well, the 2k paint is more durrable.

Thanks for the tip on getting them out . They must be held in by something under spring tension like a spring loaded ball or .... Sounds like you just bolt a plate-bar across the face of the flange and connect up the s-hammer.

I'll check out Eastwood. What about going silver instead of black?

Back