Best place to buy paint?

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I'm going to grind a little rust off the rain channel on my Coupe, and I want to provide the right paint to our body guy at work.

He's worried about sourcing the wrong paint, so I figured I'd ask the experts where the best place to find some Sahara paint would be.

Thanks in advance!

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
I'm going to grind a little rust off the rain channel on my Coupe, and I want to provide the right paint to our body guy at work.

He's worried about sourcing the wrong paint, so I figured I'd ask the experts where the best place to find some Sahara paint would be.

Thanks in advance!

if you want a good match you are going to want him to get a high quality product from sikkens, glasurit or the like.

jmackro

Reaction score
Are you still able to get oil-based paints there in "NorCal"? Here in Orange County (and I think, in all surrounding counties), only water-based automotive paints can be sold legally. Blending oil and water-based products doesn't work all that well.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Are you still able to get oil-based paints there in "NorCal"? Here in Orange County (and I think, in all surrounding counties), only water-based automotive paints can be sold legally. Blending oil and water-based products doesn't work all that well.

That's what I'm getting at. The guy that's going to shoot it is talented, but he is only well versed in modern paint, and I'm not sure he'd know how to procure old stuff.

I'd be a lot happier finding the right paint and handing it to him rather than having him get creative with modern paint.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
The 'good stuff' is illegal here in maryland as well but is still sold freely across the border in PA and VA. Made a few trips to acquire materials when i was painting my car. CA is a much larger state so i'm not sure how easy that would be for you or what the laws are in your bordering states.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm assuming single-stage? And is he planning on blending a small area or repainting an entire panel? Just my opinion... blending a small area with different paint types is nearly impossible. Two-stage paints (with clear) can blend the base color and then paint the entire panel with clear, still having trouble matching...

He's worried because he knows this. :cool:

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score

None of the bubbles have gone through, so I'm going to grind down to fresh metal. I just need him to shoot and blend this small section in the rain channel in the fender. Nothing external on the bodywork.

I just don't want to open the hood and have it painted poorly, and look worse than it does now.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, different story. That won't be tough for him and engine compartment paint never looks the same anyway.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
None of the bubbles have gone through, so I'm going to grind down to fresh metal

I hope you are correct about the bubbles. Usually blistering paint in the rain channel is from the panel rusting from the inside - as there is an internal channel behind here that is packed with dirt/moisture.

Assuming you can get a hold of oil based single stage, could your painter legally use it? I think Glasurit makes a good water based paint. The formula for Sahara should be available but may not perfectly match the aged paint on the car. A good supplier should be able to scan an existing panel and get a decent match.

good luck,

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
We'll find out soon enough if I'm right or wrong. :neutral: I've probed them with a pick and didn't get through anywhere.

Great question on the legality of using it. I'll have to look into that, but like most things in California it's probably highly illegal.

jmackro

Reaction score
Assuming you can get a hold of oil based single stage, could your painter legally use it?

Well, yea, sort of. As I understand it, there is no prohibition on selling small quantities (like pints or aerosol cans) of oil-based paints. There is no prohibition on shooting paint that you may have had on the shelf (though you are supposed to use it in a proper booth). It's just that the paint stores in certain counties can't sell oil-based products in gallon quantity (dunno about quarts).