best tires for 16 x 7 Alpina's

Malc

Reaction score
Depending on your driving style, and of course what you can get Goodyear, Continental, Pirrelli are good. Sticky ones from Yokahama are amazing, but won't last that long
Main thing to ensure is the tyre total diameter is the same as a standard 14 inch tyre. That way your speedometer and gearing will not be thrown out. Basically if you go up a rim size you have to change the profile value so for arguements sake if you have 195/65-14 you neet to go to 195/55-15 if you have 15 inch rims etc etc. There are serveral free tyre size calculators on the Internet you could check out
Malc

E9KNZ047

Reaction score
I found Michelins to be great option for stickability and durability and reasonable value - will be replacing with the same shortly.
What city are you from in NZ (I am an expat) and dream of taking my car home to have a blast on the winding roads back there...one day
Not many E9s back home as I recall.

mm55mm

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Originally a Palmy boy, now live in Akld.

Question you might be able to help me with. Why is it that quite a few cars I see have 7's on the front and 8's on the back....any problem with running all four 17" at 7"?

What's your car?

E9KNZ047

Reaction score
Hi ..'unfortunately' mine is a mongrel to use a colloquial - 1971 carburetted CSA now with a warm 3.5 and 5speed...not original but still reliable and fun to drive. As to why the the 7 and 8's not sure - have to ask the purists but I guess its just a combination of ease of steering and tractabaility..?
Please do me a favour one day and take the E9 on the road out to Piha and tell me how she goes there and back - always thought that would be a great drive.

Misterchinn

Reaction score
Actually, I've been wondering what tires others are using.

X-Atlas or any one, is there a way to set up a poll? Maybe just brand since there are too many other variables. I'm just curious, plus looking to narrow down the field a bit and could use some collective wisdom.

Possible?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
"right" tire for 16 X 7's

I'm running on Alpina staggered 7" & 8"--after extensive research on the tirerack.com website I selected and fitted a set of "W" rated Bridgestones to the BLUMAX---have been very satisfied with all round performance and they have worn well too.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try Kumhos

I've had Kumhos on both my E9 and a Porsche 993 and been very satisfied with the ride and handling.

I was concerned that moving from 14" to 16" rims would beat me and the car up, but it's actually smoother now on 7x16 3-piece rims with the Kumhos than it was on the stock 14s with Dunlops. I've got the Ecstas, but not sure if it's the 712s that are currently on the market or an older version.

Garrett