Best way to clean wires and wiring harness

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I am ready to repaint part of the engine bay, I am trying to clean the wiring harness. I am not removing it so I want to do a decent removal of years of dirt and grime but I'm not getting ready for the front lawn at Pebble Beach. After the harness is reasonably devoid of grease and dirt, I will mask it and tuck it inwards so I can paint the inner nose and fenders.

Is there any problem using Brakleen or Simple Green degreaser on wires and connectors? I would imagine it might dilute the glue on the cloth tape. But would that damage anything to the wires themselves?

Thank you.

Bo

What i used on every single part in the car including wiring

GaSOline brings everything back to orig and doesnt hurt it I USED IT ON EVERY PIECS OF PLASTIC
THEY IMMEDIATELY SOACKED THEM IN ENGLISH LEATHER CONDITIONER-- COMES BACK BRAND NEW

I've found Goo Gone "Pro Power", citrus based cleaner, to be fantastic for that purpose.

pACE3-1133214t181.jpg

Then wrap the harness with correct-looking Coroplast fabric tape. Shown is 9 mm wide, E9 is wider, 19 mm. Conforms to wire bundle far better than sports cloth tape or gaffer's tape and no white edge as in when the other tapes are ripped or cut to size. www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

IMG_7058.JPG

GaSOline brings everything back to orig and doesnt hurt it I USED IT ON EVERY PIECS OF PLASTIC
THEY IMMEDIATELY SOACKED THEM IN ENGLISH LEATHER CONDITIONER-- COMES BACK BRAND NEW

Thanks Allan. What does the leather conditioner do to electric wires exactly?

I've found Goo Gone "Pro Power", citrus based cleaner, to be fantastic for that purpose.

pACE3-1133214t181.jpg

Thanks Luis. It looks like there are two versions of this Goo Gone. One more liquid like gasoline and one slightly more gel like. Which did you use?

@Bmachine
a Word of caution when using gasoline, consider please what you are buying as gasoline, i have found that gasoline is too much aggresive with almost everything except tough metal parts as springs, suspensión and so on, and in that case it might even damage paint leaving residues that will not allow you to re-paint over it so you will need a solvent later on

gasoline will also damage aluminium creating and accelerating White rust due to the traces of enthanol in its contents, i.e. when cleaning carburetors, be careful with those tiny passages

i would not clean plastics or rubber with pure gasoline, but i would add gasoline to diesel fuel when cleaning those, mixture at your choice but i would say 50% Works just ok

adding a conditioner might be tricky, or better say a mystery, you should consider the purpose of the plastic or rubber

in any case, for cables, better use an engine cleaner that is wáter based (like the one that Luis proposed), this will leave a clean surface, then you can use vaseline or glicerine (they are radically different),

question is that if you need to use a cover adhesive tape afterwards, it will not stick, unless you use the textile tape that luis proposed that is meant to stick to itself and not to the cable

in any case the use of vaseline will make the cable practically imposible to handle afterwards with a tape, as your hands will have vaseline and you wont be able to apply the tape

glicerine is radically different, it will refresh the plastic of the cable but it wont be so sticky afterwards

another thought about glycerine and vaseline:

vaseline is petrol based so it will damage your EPDM-rubber seals, i.e. all those of the braking system, so, never apply vaseline to the brake system seals, and in principle not to the weatherstrips and so on neither

vaseline comes in both liquid and a sort of creme format

glycerine, a sugar alcohol polyol, used as humectant, is the choice for those EPDM-rubbers, it comes usually in liquid form

vaseline is ok for all NBR-rubbers (basically all those fuel and oil resistant rubbers, seals, including suspensión bushings and so on)

you can buy expensive comercial products that may have other additives to the basic formulae, but in drugstores or pharmacies you will get the essential compounds that work just well

IMHO

Thanks Luis. It looks like there are two versions of this Goo Gone. One more liquid like gasoline and one slightly more gel like. Which did you use?
The one in the photo. Completely liquid and very strong.

I use alcohol to clean a lot of stuff. Hope I am right that it seems safe. So far so good, and no toxic fumes or explosion hazard.

Thank you Luis and Nicad. I was able to find the Goo Gone liquid at Home Depot. Will test it today.

DQ: thank you for the excellent and detailed explanation of how the various options affect the results. Super helpful. I will follow your recommendations closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back