Best way to fit new spark plug wires into the loom?

Dave G

Reaction score
Hello! Wondering if anyone has advice on changing spark plug wires with a one-piece molded black plastic loom, see photo. I purchased new wires with the 90° boots, as shown in the original parts manual. However I am concerned about bending the connectors twice while removing and replacing the boots in order to fish them through the loom. Is it feasible to swap these out, or should I buy a wire set with a loom pre-installed, or purchase a crimper and new connectors? Or, is it easier to remove the plug/insulator end of the wire? It looks harder since there is a wire clip fitted into the end of the receptacle. Not seeing any good answers in my searches. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 46

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello! Wondering if anyone has advice on changing spark plug wires with a one-piece molded black plastic loom, see photo. I purchased new wires with the 90° boots, as shown in the original parts manual. However I am concerned about bending the connectors twice while removing and replacing the boots in order to fish them through the loom. Is it feasible to swap these out, or should I buy a wire set with a loom pre-installed, or purchase a crimper and new connectors? Or, is it easier to remove the plug/insulator end of the wire? It looks harder since there is a wire clip fitted into the end of the receptacle. Not seeing any good answers in my searches. Thanks!

easy, the long brown terminals are screwed into the cable, i mean, grab the cable, and un-screw (anti-clockwise) the brown terminal one by one
introduce cables (use vaseline or similar), and screw them again
remember that cables have a sequence qhen installing them at the distributor cap
identify first cyl, and go with the firing order clock wise if seeing from top of diastributor cap
refer to blue books
good luck

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, as DeQ says - disassemble from the plug side, you can then use thin safety wire or similar to pull them through the loom out of their respective holes.

Where did you get those wires-do the rubber ends seal the plug cavities in the head?

Dave G

Reaction score
Thanks @deQuincey and @Stevehose!
Steve, the plug wires are,
Searching around, these met my goal of looking like the originals with the 90° elbows at the distributor end, black silicone wires, and the brown "Bakelite" plug insulators. I don't know yet if the rubber caps on the end of the plug insulators will fit well enough to seal off the plug opening in the head. If not, they do come off.