Best way to sell a base model 1990 Mercury Cougar with 12k miles?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend is trying to help someone sell a 1990 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L Auto that has 12k original miles. I guess the car is actually in very good condition but it's a base model nothing car. I have no idea what to tell him on this one. I don't always think less is better when it comes extremely low mileage. 12k miles in 33 years is probably worse on a car than having 100k miles, but regardless I don't know how to figure value or where to sell it. I'll try to get some photos.

Any ideas? Ebay has a few.

Dan

That's quirky enough that it might gets some mileage (pun intended) on Cars & Bids. The DeMuro crowd has a sense of humor that BaT never will. Just a thought.

On the other hand, it's also something you'd expect to see on your local Craigslist, if you can tolerate the randos.

They aren't terrible looking cars (damning with faint praise? o_O ). In fact, the T-bird flavor has a striking resemblance to the first 6 series cars.

I don't think I'd go with CraigsList or Marketplace. Not a big enough audience. I'd give BaT a shot. You need a BIG market area in order to find those 2 guys that would be in love with it. BaT probably will take it "no reserve" only, but it's not my car so that's what I would suggest ;)

Sounds like a good car a movie studio could use when recreating the 90s in movies.
Or ship it RORO to Europe and collect the fire insurance... ROROs are going up in flames lately.

I was going to suggest Cars & Bids too; While the wider FB Marketplace may be too big of a field to advertise it in, there are some focused groups, like Unusual Daily Drivers At Reasonable Prices and Obscure Cars For Sale that might help it find the right audience.

Back