Birgit The Wonder Bavaria

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Birgit The Wonder Bavaria, my son Ethan, and I have returned home from a 1600-mile round-trip to The Vintage. Other than running 2/3 of the way up the gauge (which is to say, running like every other Bavaria ever made, even when they were new), she functioned flawlessly. Absolutely remarkable. This from a car that basically sat from 2005, when her enthusiast owner passed away, until two weeks ago when I picked her up from the guy who'd bought her from an estate sale. He did replace all the calipers, but I did only light sorting (center support bearing, voltage regulator, valve adjustment, fluids and filters, and odds and ends). We made it back from Winston-Salem in 13.5 hours. Oh -- and 23 mpg.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When did you leave NC? Tom and I left the Hawthorne at about 6:00 and you were already gone. It took us slightly longer to get home as we stopped (and were stopped :O) a few times.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Stan, I was out of the parking lot at the crack of 5am, as I wanted to get as many miles behind me while the temperatures were still cool as possible. Sorry to hear about your and Tom's legal entanglements. When I saw the speed traps I posted immediately to Facebook. In retrospect I obviously should've messaged Tom directly. Major mistake on my part for which I apologize.