Bits of metal in my 262 transmission

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
In preparation for an automatic to manual conversion I decided to drain the oil from the getrag 262 manual I'm planning to install in my e3. The magnetic drain plug had some typical metal shavings nothing alarming. It also had some larger pieces affixed to it. Best described as thin guage metal. 3 small pieces. I've attached photos. I bought this trans from a parts car so I really don't know the condition. Any ideas what they're from? Syncros?

Anyone know of a trans shop in the northrn NJ area that will work on getrags?

Thanks,

John M

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 124
Magnetic?

The drain plug is has magnet to capture floating metal shavings. The metal bits stick to the magnet. If that's your question, then yes they're magnetic.
The bits of metal are soft enough to bend so not gear/tooth material. Not being familiar with the insides of these, could it be from some type of shim or bushing?

John

Those are pretty big metal parts, and given the difficulty of identifying them, I wouldn't risk it. Get another transmission. You'll sleep better.

The drain plug is has magnet to capture floating metal shavings. The metal bits stick to the magnet. If that's your question, then yes they're magnetic.
The bits of metal are soft enough to bend so not gear/tooth material. Not being familiar with the insides of these, could it be from some type of shim or bushing?

John

John,

Sorry I was vague. Brendan said that the parts look like synchro teeth. I assumed that they are brass or Molybdenum. I was elusively asking if those parts are attracted to magnets. Obviously brass is not. Moly is considered 'paramagnetic', which is too difficult for my small mind to comprehend.

I was just spit balling based on the blurry pics, but dog teeth are usually magnetic.

If you're missing teeth, rebuild it. It'll only get worse from there. Here is an example of missing dog teeth on a main gear.

chopdog1.jpg

Thanks guys. Sorry about the lousy pictures. I won't use the trans without having a professional look at it first. Even without the metal bits it's still 44 years old.
A mechanic recommended a trans shop close to me that rebuilds manual transmissions and they do old getrags.
I'll get it there this week and have them open it up to see what it needs.

I'll keep you posted.

John M

my guess

Is that the metallic pieces are part of a bearing. Most bearings have spacer rings inside to keep the balls at equidistance. I had one of these fails in a transmission ( non bmw) before.

Usually this is accompanied with a distinct rattle....
Just an idea though, but as the bits look like 0.5mm /1mm thick,it would have my focus. Could they have (had) a circular form, once upon a lifetime?

Erik.

Back