Blew up my motor. Broken timing chain.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep, old Gracies motor threw a timing chain last week.
I built this motor in 2014 and at that time the only new timing chain BMW offered was one with a link.
I didn't like that much but used it anyway.
6 years and 7000 miles later it decided to let go.
The mileage is correct but of those 6 years is sat for 4.5 or more while I rebuilt the body.
So roughly a 1000 miles after the rebuild was on the road it broke.
I was coming home at night from seeing a friends band play outside at a local bar.
It was 11PM and driving about 50 and whoa..... metallic sounds and no power.
As soon as I got off the road and tried to start I knew that sound. Sounds like no spark plugs are in the engine because it now has no compression.
Called Hagerty said it could be up to 90 minutes on a Saturday night.
2 hours later I called the wrecker and they said it could be another hour.
So it's 2AM and I am in a parking lot. Got off the road by putting car in second gear and using the starter motor to pull into the lot.
I'm falling asleep and yet just 2 miles from home.
I got pissed and called my own wrecker. 25 minutes later he was there and we went home. $140.00
I got in bed at 4AM.
Since that time I called Hagerty and told them about the lousy wrecker company they were contracting with and they agreed to reimburse me. Can't beat Hagerty.

A couple days later I got the head off and discovered 3 bent valves and a broken rocker arm on cyl 3 exhaust and the chain guide was broken as well.
Oh whoop, let's spend more money on needless repairs.
Rounding up parts now and cyl head should go to machine shop by Friday.

I also need to check that piston to make sure the rings are not broken.
The surface is ok on all 3 just a mark where the valves hit.
Also find parts in oil pan and fix an annoying oil leak.

So to pull the piston I need to remove the pan and to remove the pan I pull the engine or drop the subframe.
Either one of these scenarios is currently not possible because the Golf Tii I just bought is on my lift with it's whole rear subframe removed and will be a week or more before I get it back in the car.
I have all the Tii parts including a new/old diff which is what started that slippery slope.

Out of commision for a few weeks but at least it didn't break at 6000 ft on the Blue Ridge Parkway the week before.

Lesson learned- DON'T EVER USE A TIMING CHAIN WITH A LINK IN IT.
Now BMW makes a one piece timing chain like the one that came on these engines. Something tells me they had some warranty claims over the link chain.

Update to come.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3190.jpg
    IMG_3190.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 169
  • RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 164
Sorry to hear about the crap luck.
Hard to believe BMW isn’t liable, even if only wet Karma.

So, how desperate are you to get the pistons out?

Red neck approach to sump removal: when I was young, poor and desperate I put a couple 2x4’s across the fenders (on edge) to hold the engine block up off its mounts. Then a cheapo trolly jack below, a bit of chain and I got the motor high enough to remove the sump and extract pistons.

Sorry to hear about the crap luck.
Hard to believe BMW isn’t liable, even if only wet Karma.

So, how desperate are you to get the pistons out?

Red neck approach to sump removal: when I was young, poor and desperate I put a couple 2x4’s across the fenders (on edge) to hold the engine block up off its mounts. Then a cheapo trolly jack below, a bit of chain and I got the motor high enough to remove the sump and extract pistons.
I have a brace that goes across like your 2x4 idea. Will just drop the subframe. Easier and not have to disconnect the drive shaft and pull the trans.
Subframe is just 4 bolts and the shocks and probably the steering box to the steering wheel shaft.
I'm afraid if I don't check the piston I will just have to do it again later.

I feel your pain.

A little OT, but I did exactly the same thing with my small block Chevy powered 914 recently. Getting on the freeway, the top of 3rd gear and BANG!. I coasted to the next exit.
IMG_4932.jpeg

My engine/trans comes out pretty easy (through the bottom)...

IMG_4997.jpeg

The timing chain had broken, jammed against the cover, and took all the teeth off the crank gear. I don't know why I used a standard timing set, but a Cloyes double roller goes back in tomorrow (following a tear down and lots of inspection and cleaning)

IMG_5001.jpeg

Dick,
I think your wonderful E9 friends here deserve a driving videos of this 958 (eg 5.8 liters in a 914 body?) doing something that our E9 can only dream of achieving.

Last edited:
hey Gary, extremely sorry to read this ... not in ATL right now or i would have come over for moral support and maybe a beer or 3.

Gary, when i get home next week i will see if the new timing chain that i have (from when i had a bavaria) was a single or double chain. would think it was a double, but i'm not sure what that car had. did you try to get a double row chain from some of the engine builders like VSR, SFDon or Korman?

Gary, that totally sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news; but at least it is fixable and soon you'll be back to enjoying your coupe!!!

@Dick Steinkamp,

If you are bored, start an OT post on this car. I've always wanted a V8 914. I also want a V8 early Volvo 244. I love how wide your car hobby goes. I hyper forcus on a single car for a decade then move on. I only have 5 years left to get my car restored before I need to start something new. :D

I feel your pain.

A little OT, but I did exactly the same thing with my small block Chevy powered 914 recently. Getting on the freeway, the top of 3rd gear and BANG!. I coasted to the next exit.

My engine/trans comes out pretty easy (through the bottom)...

The timing chain had broken, jammed against the cover, and took all the teeth off the crank gear. I don't know why I used a standard timing set, but a Cloyes double roller goes back in tomorrow (following a tear down and lots of inspection and cleaning)

Damn Gary - you just got that thing back together. Sorry to hear about this.

Back