Blinkers

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Blinker Question.
The blinkers work fine but I have a question about the blinker light in the dash.
When I turn on the blinker the light in the dash comes on for a second and then goes out. I have no further indication the blinker is on.
I assume this is not normal and I either have a wiring issue (probably just have to clean the connectors ,maybe?) or a the flasher is not fully working.
Is the flasher item 42 on the wiring diagram?
It is fun (maybe not the right word) trying to decipher the wiring diagram!
Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
When I turn on the blinker the light in the dash comes on for a second and then goes out. I have no further indication the blinker is on. I assume this is not normal .

Actually it is pretty normal. No, it isn't a wiring issue. It's a common symptom of the flasher used on the e9 that gets discussed from time-to-time here on the Forum. For example, see the thread from last year at: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9515&highlight=flasher Polishing the flasher's contact points will help somewhat (see the procedure in the YouTube video referenced in post #5 of that 2011 thread).

I would like to find an electronic flasher to replace the tempremental thermal flasher - anyone know of one?

Last edited:

loloe13

Reaction score
need new relay?

I had a similar problem recently. Blinkers work fine but the indicator on the Dash would only flash once and nothing.
After changing the flasher relay, the problem was solved.
Got the new relays from W+N.

Gavin

jmackro

Reaction score
Check the bulbs' contacts and/or clean them.

Yes, good point. I should have mentioned this in my post #2 above. You want your flasher bulbs to draw as much current as possible - corroded contacts = resistance, which inhibits current flow. For some reason, new bulbs seem to draw more current than old ones - maybe the filaments' resistance increases as they becomes brittle with age.

Still, it puzzles me how the flasher will operate the exterior bulbs OK, but only flash the dash bulb for a few cycles, when the exterior bulbs' current draw is too low. Why fixing the exterior bulbs should change the behavior of the dash bulb is a mystery to me.

I have explored aftermarket electronic flashers, such as the ones listed on this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fflashers.htm but none have 4 terminals that match the ones on my coupe. The CF13GL-02 that is listed for "German European" comes closest, but it only has 3 terminals - it lacks the one for the indicator light ("C" or "KBL").

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Dang! Now I don't feel so bad. Mine do something similar. Left turn and the dash flasher works great, right turn and the dash flashes maybe once or twice then quits. I can hear the relay and I've checked the outside lights and all is well.

So cleaning the bulbs outside might help? I'll do that tonight.

Edit: Just watched the video. Based on this thread and the vid, simply buying a new relay won't fix the problem? I'm assuming the guy in the vid fixed his old one because he didn't like the 1-1.5 second delay using the non-OEM relay.

Which is the turn relay? Yes, I know, the one that clicks when you move the turn signal :lol:

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Still, it puzzles me how the flasher will operate the exterior bulbs OK, but only flash the dash bulb for a few cycles, when the exterior bulbs' current draw is too low. Why fixing the exterior bulbs should change the behavior of the dash bulb is a mystery to me.
[/URL]

Indeed, that is a mystery as the bulbs are in series with the solenoid therefore more resistance would mean less current which means less magnetic force for the contact used by the dash light to close, so the dash light should stay off.

The second mystery is that when you use turn signals vs. emergency flasher the resistance of the circuit doubles, yet the frequency does not change.

I drew the circuit once but I cannot find it. I think my conclusion at the time was that the flasher "oscillator" is always on at its own frequency and the switches determine if it is relayed to the bulbs or not, but it is always working.

One day I will find the circuit, and it will be simple...