@Blinkling 's AC evaporator and TXV

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Up until now, we could upgrade MOST of our 50 year old, inefficient (and somewhat ineffective) AC system. Thanks to @Layne 's compressor bracket, we can upgrade to a modern Sanden style compressor. We can swap out the ol' skool condenser with a modern parallel flow one. We can install a current model receiver/dryer and remove the no longer needed vibration damper. We can make new hoses and insure that all replaced components use O rings to seal connections rather than the prone to leak and fail flared fittings that came with our old systems. We can incorporate a Trinary switch that is missing from our original systems to protect the system from unsafe over and under pressures and to run the condenser fan only when necessary...not all the time like the original system required.

What we have been stuck with until now is a 50 year old, outdated, inefficient, evaporator and Thermal Exchange Valve (expansion valve) and the flared fittings that these components use. Reusing these becomes the "bottleneck" for efficiency and reliability of our new system. It will be the first place the new system we just installed is going to fail (if it even works at all when the "new" system is activated),

@Blinkling has solved this problem. His product is described in detail here.

I have just completed a complete upgrade of my AC system including Blinkling's evaporator and TXV. I'm hardly an AC expert. Actually, I have never messed with an AC system and didn't know how they worked and what role each component played. With Blinklings guidance (and lots of help from @ATL_Alan who has also upgraded his system using one of Blinkling's products), the learning was quick and installation was well within my capabilities. I had an AC shop vacuum and charge my system yesterday. It works perfectly...although a full evaluation of cooling power will have to wait for warmer weather.

Although I was somewhat dreading this project, in the end I found it to be relatively easy. I now know AC systems and am confident I have the latest and greatest parts throughout.

If you have already upgraded your AC system EXCEPT for the evaporator/TVX, it is something you probably should consider doing. If one of your winter projects is to get your AC system working before summer, have a chat with Blinkling. I highly recommend his product and service.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
awesome!

I bought his kit too and hope to try it out next spring.
LMK if I can help any when you get going on it. Mine is on a Bavaria, but all parts of the AC system are the same with both cars. I'm only a couple of hours away and would be happy to come to you if it would help.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Dick! And thanks for the helpful feedback and for trusting your car with my work.

The best kind of side hustle is one where you make friends and obsess over car parts!