Blown fuse = No start ???

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car wouldn't start but fuse #8 (right power window, heater) was blown.
Replaced fuse, car starts. WTF!

Should a blown fuse result in no start?

What year is your car? Our cars have a changeover relay that shuts off the heater and windows when starting the car. I would look at that circuit in relation to the stuff connected to fuse #8 to evaluate your problem.

It's a 73.

I had the wrong size fuse, because I used the wrong year fuse chart.

I checked and rewrapped the power going to the window, hoping the wire was frayed, but didn't locate any issue.
So far the fuse has held steadfast, but I'll try starting the car with the heater on, just for fun.

To further complicate things, I have a parasitic draw, 6 volts on fuse #4. Pretty much narrowed it down to the clock or the hazard warning switch.
I'm inclined to go with the hazard switch (6 volts for the clock?!)

If you are chasing a parasitic power drain, you need to remember that the fuse block has power distribution built into it. For 73 and later cars, fuses 3 & 4 distribute switched power. You can see the connection in the wiring diagram in the owner's manual, but it is really small. If you are taking measurements across the fuse terminals, this is not a problem. But if you are measuring elsewhere, this can send you down the wrong path.

Note too that at least one on my 72, one of the connectors for switched power circuitry after the fuse has three wires coming off of it. Thus, a drain on any one of the things that runs off a red/white wire from that connector will appear to also be a drain at the other two circuits connected there. This makes isolating those circuits more complex.

Back