Bmw 3.0CSi first start in 35 years

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am so delighted to be able to report that for the first time in 10 years in my ownership I now have a car that starts when you turn the key !
She was taken off the road by a previous owner, approximately 35 years ago with a porous cylinder head.
So it has been a mountain to climb to get her running again.
I have to thank all of ye who offered help and advice to get me to this stage.
She’s not a driver yet , but it’s getting closer all the time !
I also have to thank Don and his crew for their help back in February when I first tried to get her started.
I ran into trouble with my rebuilt engine .
I had built the engine with a different rebuilt cylinder head and unfortunately a bad head gasket and managed to get the coolant and oil to mix
The head gasket although was new , its fire rings seemed to be too thick for the rest of the gasket to seal all of the oil and coolant passages between the block and the head .
Anyway I stripped the engine down again replacing all of the crankshaft bearings because I found one was scored from running on coolant and not oil :oops:
I basically had to take everything apart and inspect and clean all moving parts then buy another head gasket and while I was in there I stripped down my rebuild cylinder head and transferred all of the valve train over to a brand new old stock AMC Bmw replacement head thankfully Don came to my rescue supplying that unicorn part .

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 45
Nice! Hope your bad luck is over.
Hi again Thomas.
Coincidentally, when I posted the message earlier I could see from my e9 coupe.com details that the message was my 635th message since I joined.
So I think having its younger stable mates name “ 635 “ on the post must surely bring me good luck :)

Looks rather nice Barry!
Hi Don
Thanks again for all the help earlier in the year with my head gasket / cylinder head problems !
You and your guys definitely deserve an award or something for being on the top table of international e9 whispers !!! :)

Back