BMW Buys Alpina

BMW will slap Alpina badges on every car that comes down the line. This is not a distillation of the brand it is an evaporation.

Of course the luggage will be designed to nest perfectly in the back of the biggest BMW SUV(an oxymoron). Just like the Louis Vuitton luggage for the Gullwing Coupe.

Probably a lot like the MB purchase of AMG quite a while ago. Not necessarily a good thing for enthusiasts! But certainly a lot more Alpina (AMG) badges in garages.

Gary

i think they have already watered down the Motorsport division - ///M = marketing ... so now they need a new performance badge. and as we have all predicted, it to will be watered down. i don't get why big companies spend the money to buy something great - then destroy it.

Well, if it makes dollars it makes sense.

The reality is that it would cost Alpina too much to gear up for the electric world that the automotive industry is becoming. They have no experience here. Also, there is little ability to upgrade these cars of the future. I’d say well sold on the basis of exploiting the history that developed the brand. Well bought as well. Bmw buys exclusive branding with this. Perfect for their bullshit marketing group to stick badges and wheels on otherwise standard cars and get way more money for them. Bmw has been dead in my eyes for a long time-they died with most other manufacturers years ago. The electric age of the car has the chance to remake the brand into something that might once again become synonymous with quality, durability, design and sportiness. I hope that they do it, and do it well. Like they did in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Back