BMW Group Classic Podcast with BMW Pete

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

PETER GLEESON.​

Peter Gleeson tells us the story of his modest upbringing in 1970s London and how he snuck into the stands at car races. He explains how his passion and determination helped him find ways to buy his first cars and how, step by step, he built up his collection of landmark classics – including the iconic M1 painted by Frank Stella and other BMW highlights.
Listen to Peter’s episode now:

PETER GLEESON.​

Peter Gleeson tells us the story of his modest upbringing in 1970s London and how he snuck into the stands at car races. He explains how his passion and determination helped him find ways to buy his first cars and how, step by step, he built up his collection of landmark classics – including the iconic M1 painted by Frank Stella and other BMW highlights.
Listen to Peter’s episode now:

Oh dear - this will be embarrassing :)

hey Pete ... not embarrassing, its your history ... and i can't think of many people on this forum who are more interesting than you. it was a real pleasure to spend some time with you in Alabama and learn more about you. its the people who you meet along the way that enrich your life.

It was not at all embarrassing. I did not move for the whole 47 minutes. The London stories are just great, the term "Aston Mar'in" makes them perfect. Is there any chance you and the Rally car will come to Europe? A collector and his favourite car, just a wish. Never mind the "Schalensitze".

It was not at all embarrassing. I did not move for the whole 47 minutes. The London stories are just great, the term "Aston Mar'in" makes them perfect. Is there any chance you and the Rally car will come to Europe? A collector and his favourite car, just a wish. Never mind the "Schalensitze".
Thank you Christoph,

On the Olympic Rallye CSL, everything is a possibility, but not on the cards at the moment. Maybe one day BMW will want it back there for something, as it is one of the few cars in the collection they have made very clear they would like for themselves, with the other being 2002 Turbo number 1.

I really enjoyed that podcast. Very interesting Peter. I found we have something in common. I have always wanted an M1 too. You however, have been able to act upon this dream. Me? Well, there is that 1980 White one for sale at Amelia in March. Wonder how much that is in $Canadian? ;)

Great conversation, Peter! I really enjoy hearing other car enthusiasts' back story, why they like what they do, what their "car journey" was, and also about them as individuals. Your interview had all this and more. Next time I see you at Pebble Beach, Amelia, the LeMay in Tacoma, or other events I'll make an effort to thank you in person for all you do for the BMW community - your sharing of history and culture is truly appreciated!

Jim

Thank you for the kind words guys - I feel very privileged to have been asked to participate, as being able to indulge myself in my passion and in turn share the fun, I believe, is what its all about. The community has always been a great part of the journey along the way, after all, the cars are only the conduit that bring the people together.

I actually spoke for well over two hours and they edited it down really well, although a couple of things I noticed where, I was like "whoops" that didn't work, but in general it flowed really well, especially if you wasn't party to the full 2.5 hours chin wag :)

Pete - Was great to listen to.

On a side note - the one they did with Jason Cammisa (#5) was interesting also.

But back to Pete -
One thing that struck me was the comment you made regarding if you have interest in 'something' - go with it. If you are happy with what you have, then that is all that there is . All the better if what you want (at the time you are getting it) is not valued as you believe it could be... Not that it will happen with everything - but eventually, the market will reward you more often than not if you have decent taste. :) And I think we can all agree on that in this case. :) :)

Back