BMW Pete and his M1 on Jay Leno's Garage

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@BMW Pete

This from my local BMWCCA chapter...

Peter Gleeson on Jay Leno’s Garage

"Chapter member Peter Gleeson will be appearing on a new segment of Jay Leno’s Garage, streaming September 7th (that’s next Wednesday) as the first episode of the new season. The star of the show will be Peter’s blue M1, originally owned by factory race driver Johnny Cecotto. Besides Jay and Peter, Donald Osborne will be appraising the car, especially in light of the car’s provenance.

Cecotto bought the M1 new, cherished it for 31 years, and kept it totally original until he sold it to Peter in September 2012. Thirty-one years with Johnny Cecotto and ten years with Peter Gleeson: sounds like pretty good provenance to us!"

@BMW Pete

This from my local BMWCCA chapter...

Peter Gleeson on Jay Leno’s Garage

"Chapter member Peter Gleeson will be appearing on a new segment of Jay Leno’s Garage, streaming September 7th (that’s next Wednesday) as the first episode of the new season. The star of the show will be Peter’s blue M1, originally owned by factory race driver Johnny Cecotto. Besides Jay and Peter, Donald Osborne will be appraising the car, especially in light of the car’s provenance.

Cecotto bought the M1 new, cherished it for 31 years, and kept it totally original until he sold it to Peter in September 2012. Thirty-one years with Johnny Cecotto and ten years with Peter Gleeson: sounds like pretty good provenance to us!"
Oh, I hope I didn't embarrass myself - well not too much anyway:)

I spoke for about 45 mins with Jay and Donald, had a great time, although no doubt they cut me down to 45 seconds.

Biggest worry for me was the car had been sitting at my garage for a while when The Petersen had asked for it for their Supercar display, car goes on a trailer, no need to check everything works, its going on static display - right?.......wrong.

Covid hits and car ends up in the Museum for just under two years, so about three years inactive. Jays people had been asking me for an M1 for a while, so I called them telling them exhibition was ending this last March and they had a week to make it happen, otherwise it is heading back up here.

Arrived at Jays garage on day of filming, M1 is looking very pretty "I am ready for my close up Mr DeMille" . But, like all us car owners after a long lay up, we want to check the essentials - sadly not able. Then even worse Jay and Donald go out for the drive and return about 1hour 15 mins after they left, much longer than they said they would. On old Pirelli P7s lets - hope they didn't do any hard cornering:) Pirelli have thankfully started making the P7s again for the M1.

Interestingly, Donald and I had a conversation at Pebble two weeks ago and after the few sales of M1s since the show was recorded, he very kindly said he would have put a very different number on his appraisal if filmed today.

So very very cool Peter!!

I was working as a Class Host at Pebble a few years ago and Jay Leno asked me if it was ok to step over the rope so he could get a closer look a group of Darrin bodied cars I had responsibility for. I was a little speechless and, of course, said yes but I was thinking to myself 'you're Jay Leno, you can do whatever the hell you want'. Just reinforced to me what great guy he is.

Thanks Redrumm3

Here is a shorter version they used as a preview on FB
I thought that was a cool piece....I've heard the opposite of Jay in person @vince, but I have never met him. Everyone has their up and down days so who knows. I know I wouldn't make a good celebrity, I would get bothered quick..but great interview Peter and very cool car for sure, we are all very envious...I think I can speak for the majority here. Great job preserving all these rare birds!

I have a funny Jay Leno story - and it involves the show at Pebble....
I am sorry it is a bit long, but I think its funny.... LOL

I was visiting my family in Monterey/Salinas in the early 1990’s and had opportunity to go to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. We have a good family friend who lives in PB named Randy. Randy was very successful in business in the 30's and 40's and... as my parents would say - a 'character'.
Even though Randy had very bad knees and had a hard time getting around, he wanted to go to the show – and Randy being Randy, made some calls and was allowed to use one of the electric golf carts as his personal transport during the event on Sunday.

Needless to say, there were TONS of folks there and moving around in the cart was VERY slow. Those of us walking around could get around pretty easily -but Randy was not able to. As such, to keep him company, my wife (not really a car gal) volunteered to sit with him when he slugged his way through the crowds with the cart.

Randy was driving the cart up near the Lodge when they were approached by Jay Leno. Jay was poking fun at Randy about his ‘antique’ electric vehicle and asking what class it was in and where he had it restored and… just trying to be funny. My wife was having a great time playing along with Jay.
But - Randy was not having any part of that… He was just humoring this 'annoying guy' and not doing much in return.

The banter lasted just a short time before Jay figured it was time to continue on his way. Randy was (kinda) scratching his head for what this ‘guy’ was doing why he was being annoying and… oh well… Randy just shook his head and figured it was some guy trying to be funny (and failing miserably in Randy’s eyes).
After Jay left, my wife asked Randy if he knew who that was….
Nope, he did not
She told Randy that Jay took over the Tonight Show after Johnny Carson retired.
Randy shook his head and asked…. What's the "Tonight Show" and “Johnny who?” TOO funny…..

(no- Randy did not watch TV and – if memory serves me, retired to bed very early in the evenings. By this time Randy was in his 90's).

The automotive part of Randy’s story –
Randy was very successful in business and had a few $$ (as far back to the 1930’s and on…)
He lived in LA back then and owned a Duesenberg. I am not sure the year or model – but I did see pics of him with that car.
You’ve seen the stereotypical scene of a police officer hiding behind a billboard waiting for a speeder to go by, right? Randy told me that when he was out in the country (with no traffic on the open road) he’d usually be driving the Duesenberg pretty much flat out. Sometimes he would have a motorcycle cop (CHP usually) pull out and try to catch him when he was out east of LA – out in the boonies (boonies back then anyway). They never did catch him. This was before the days of radio’s and… nothing the patrolman could do as long as the road was open and Randy could just keep going. One time when this happened, Randy had a motorcycle patrolman pull out and try to catch him. Randy lost sight of the fella in the rear. Many miles later, Randy stopped at a place for lunch (parking around the side of the building – out of sight). Guess who showed up for their own lunch a while later? Yep, the officer trying to get that ‘speeding Duesy’. Well, Randy quickly finished his lunch and flagged down the server to pay both his and the officer’s lunch – and slipped out and got on the road again. LOL
He had several interesting cars during his time – including a Mercedes 600, back when they were current.

I asked Randy one time what his favorite car was….
Without even thinking – he said the early 80’s Oldsmobile Diesel Custom Cruiser (station wagon) that he bought new and had through the rest of his life (as it turned out).
I asked why… He said it can him and his electric scooter (hanging off the trailer hitch mount) and also has plenty of room for ‘stuff’.
He had no complaints.
I asked what about the Mercedes or the Duesenberg??
He said they were ok, but too flashy and fiddley… (I did not bring up the numerous problems he had with the Olds diesel – lol - I think he went through three engines). I had to smile – For him, he was way past the ‘show off’ mode for his cars. He just wanted to get around with as little fuss as possible.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. LOL

@BMW Pete, too short a segment at 45 seconds! Hopefully the longer version will be online at some point.

From what I have heard, Jay does everything in one take, so the car owner has to be on their toes & go with the flow.

@BMW Pete ... love seeing segments like this with extremely special BMW. what a gorgeous ///M1. i was wondering about the number, glad that Donald said it would be different if he was doing it today.

Back