BMW Twin Turbo V8... WTH?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was walking by some motors sitting outside our dismantling area this morning and noticed a V8 that looked like it had plastic exhaust manifolds. WTF? So I gave a closer look to see that they run the intake on the outside and exhaust in the middle with two turbos. I had no idea they did this. I'd hate to work on one of these things...

20220714_075652.jpg

20220714_075700.jpg

That's what I had in my 2013 F06, 650iXdrive. A nice mannered car all around, and the turbo lag was acceptable provided you remembered to manually kick the trans down. I did have the turbo pipe seals fail a few times and the high and low pressure fuel pumps had to be replaced around 80k.

That's what I had in my 2013 F06, 650iXdrive. A nice mannered car all around, and the turbo lag was acceptable provided you remembered to manually kick the trans down. I did have the turbo pipe seals fail a few times and the high and low pressure fuel pumps had to be replaced around 80k.
I just bought a private party 2012 650i with 75k on it. The guy was fed up with the maintenance/repair costs and said the shop told him it needed major work done. I bought it for $3600 with a clean title. Our mechanics says it has fuel delivery issues so we'll probably check the tank fuel pump first. Sounds like a common problem.

We had a 2013 X5 with that motor, worst BMW/car we've owned. It was beautiful but in for service constantly. Later, there was a class action lawsuit for that motor. Those turbos in the V cooked all the seals prematurely.

Turned out to be one of the high pressure fuel pumps. As luck would have it we had another engine in stock (the one I saw was being sold) so I stole one of the pumps off of it and it fixed the 650i. Our mechanic said it ran way better but still had a misfire on #6, changed the coil and good to go. I can't imagine how much the dealer was quoted the owner to fix it.

that's what i call a good buy. quick way to triple your investment ... or more ... here they are selling for 12k to 16k

650i.... i bought a new one in 2007 for the round sum of 100k €. ( Convertible)
4 years later i wanted to sell it as the warranty expired... and i sure didn't want to pay for repairs myself. It had 100k kilometers. ( 62k miles)
In de end finaly got it sold to a German guy for... 27k.

Was the most expensive car in price/km i ever had. And i had many.... :oops:

This one books for almost $24k in our area. Online they're asking between $20-25k. We're hoping to sell to a dealer for maybe $12-14k but I told them here that it's an odd ball so don't get too excited. Just bought a 2012 Cayenne S from a private party today. 224k though. Has a slight misfire but he drove it 30 miles to sell it to us. Amazingly clean inside and out. Probably drove to the bay area and back all the time. Oh yeah, bought a Rolls Royce last week. @Markos would look great in it! 1982 Silver Spur. Giant boat, nothing special, very British when you get inside. 62k miles, runs and drives but doesn't stop! Eh.

This one books for almost $24k in our area. Online they're asking between $20-25k. We're hoping to sell to a dealer for maybe $12-14k but I told them here that it's an odd ball so don't get too excited. Just bought a 2012 Cayenne S from a private party today. 224k though. Has a slight misfire but he drove it 30 miles to sell it to us. Amazingly clean inside and out. Probably drove to the bay area and back all the time. Oh yeah, bought a Rolls Royce last week. @Markos would look great in it! 1982 Silver Spur. Giant boat, nothing special, very British when you get inside. 62k miles, runs and drives but doesn't stop! Eh.

I’ve driven a silver spur. My wife’s uncle had one. It was interesting to drive but not unlike the chevy station wagon we had growing up. About the only thing I recall was the precision of the blinkers and the shift lever.

Back