Boman radio in 1970 2800CS

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You mean Bosch? In the USA radios were purchased from the dealer, not supplied by BMW. Most were Becker or Blaupunkt, I’ve never seen a Bosch (or Bosco?) radio dealer installed in an E9.

Toddsquad

Reaction score

Attachments

• 84E705CD-ED5E-48C6-8CE4-6A98CB8862B3.jpeg
    84E705CD-ED5E-48C6-8CE4-6A98CB8862B3.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 389138D0-25FC-4549-8699-4DF7431EF70E.jpeg
    389138D0-25FC-4549-8699-4DF7431EF70E.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 119

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your console hasn't been hacked up for a modern "Tokyo at Night" type abomination. An appropriate shaft trpe Blaupunkt Frankfurt or Becker Grand Prix will go right in. This one has it's charms in it's own way, though.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks period correct, so probably has been with your car since then. I am sure it sounds period as well.
Given the news you hear nowadays on the radio I would keep it...

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
The radio is a BOMAN. Are BOMAN and BOWMAN the same company?
Ha - you're right, and that's the way I searched for it. I missed the added "w". It's funny because the logo on the radio puns with bow, or bowman even though it's got no "w". I guess we know how to pronounce it though.

Actually I first found it with the correct spelling and then wandered over to the page I posted.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ha - you're right, and that's the way I searched for it. I missed the added "w". It's funny because the logo on the radio puns with bow, or bowman even though it's got no "w". I guess we know how to pronounce it though.

Actually I first found it with the correct spelling and then wandered over to the page I posted.
That's what you get for trying to help. ;)

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Boman logo - pretty stylin'. I'd second other's opinions about keeping it as long as it works. As has been said, looks (and is) period correct and US radios were installed by dealers. Many of the Beckers and Blaupunkts were installed with knobs that matched the rest of the ones in the cabin. That's really the only thing that stands out about it not being original.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you want serious tunes in your car, there's a company called Aurora that is known to restomod old radios to sound so much better. I'm sure there are others. I'm looking into that option myself with a Becker Europa.

NFK

Site Donor
Reaction score
When it comes to car stereo, I always install a Becker 2238 Trafficstar. Ok, it is not period correct, it is from the mid 90’s but it looks unobtrusive, not like the Japanese models. It must have been the best radio money could buy back then. It also was the first one with integrated navigation. The build in 4x amplifier is more than sufficient. I like them a lot and still have couple in a drawer for the next cars to come