Book Deal Signed With Bentley Publishers

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
It is with joy bordering on the profane that I announce that Bentley Publishers, publishers of the best damn automotive repair manuals in the world, has signed me to publish my 350 page book, tentatively titled "Car Nut: Why men love cars, and how fixing BMWs saved my sanity (a memoir with actual useful stuff)." It's my life, viewed through the lens of cars, in a way that other car guys and the women who love them will instantly relate to. It's that miserable Triumph GT6+ I owned in college. It's rebuilding the engine of Maire Anne's VW bus in the kitchen of the apartment in Austin. It's the 25 BMW 2002s. It's several chapters on my beloved '73 3.0CSi I've owned for 25 years. It's teaching my kids to drive in the Suburban on the beach late at night on Nantucket. It's a defense of men as intimate caring creatures, even though we often appear to have the emotional intelligence of algae. It's an explanation of why, in a world in which we have so little control, I thoroughly enjoy working on cars and get such a charge out of identifying, diagnosing, and completely fixing a problem.

Can you tell I've been practicing the elevator speech? How does it sound? I think it's pretty good considering Maire Anne (the best wife a car guy could ever ask for) and I celebrated last night and I was drinking Death in the Afternoon (Hemingway's favorite ****tail -- champagne and absinthe).

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Look forward to reading your Book. Congratulations. I hope there is a chapter devoted to the dark subject of Rust.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations Rob! Your column is the first I turn to on the Roundel so I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

flarimer

Reaction score
Rob - that is brilliant news! As one car book author to another, I will tell you that you will likely never have worked harder however you will enjoy this like you would not believe.

Congratulations! I do look forward to your column monthly and know I will look forward to hearing more as this project evolves.

Well done!

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congraduations!

Rob,

Looking forward to picking up a copy once it's out. Sounds like it will be a fun and interesting read.

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats Rob! I've always enjoyed your articles in the Roundel and look forward to the book

Honolulu

Reaction score
hmmm

... and you're gonna give a real bro deal to all your pals on the forum, who have helped you so much, right?

CCA, been there, done that.

John S

Reaction score
Congrats Rob,
Look forward to it. I Enjoy your column in the Roundel and also your contributions here and on the 2002 FAQ. Very Cool!
John

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope you have the opportunity to quit your day job soon and become a full-time automotive writer. Someone like Peter Egan. He writes my second-favorite car column, next to yours. Congratulations.

Scott