Booster Rod Replacement

careysd

Reaction score
1. Is it possible to remove and replace the brake rod that is attached to the booster diaphragm on the brake pedal side?

2. Can anyone tell me the free length from the face of the booster to the end of the rod?

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Is it possible to remove and replace the brake rod that is attached to the booster diaphragm on the brake pedal side?

2. Can anyone tell me the free length from the face of the booster to the end of the rod?

Thanks.

Try this from manual: :wink:
33000001.jpg

When installing: Adjust length of piston rod to 367 + 1 mm (14.49 + 0.04 in.) (A), and prevent nuts from turning with keeper plate.
Check distance of brake pedal (B) from bulk head = 245 mm (9.65in.).
Adjust exposed depth of stop light switch plunger (C) to 6 ÷ 7 mm (0.24 - 0.28 in.).
On cars equipped with rear drum brakes, the master cylinder is provided with an initial pressure valve.

Checking operation: With the engine stopped, depress the brake pedal about 10 times. Keep the brake pedal held down and start the engine. If the brake pedal moves further down, the brake systems is in good order. If the brake pedal does not move, either the non-return valve, the vacuum hose or the rubber ring between master cylinder and brake unit may be defective or else the filter element is completely blocked.
¹) If installed

33000002_z.jpg

Remove the protecting cap (1), retaining ring (2), sound
absorbing pad (3) and filter (4).
When installing: Clean the sound absorbing pad (3) and
filter (4).

hth

Excellent pictures. Thank you for taking the time to post them, really. I am wondering how I can get at the rod coming out of the booster. I found a similar booster to the one in my car, only smaller in diameter. Small enough that it should fit a Motronic manifold. The rods are different though, with the new one having a fork at the end. So, if I can semi-easily swap them, it will be win-win...

Back