Brake caliper upgrades

jkyle69

Reaction score
Would it be possible to fit drilled/grooved&vented discs from Walloth & Nesch and use Wilwood 4 pot calipers? Anyone tried this at all? Would it be possible from someone to send me the dimensions of the standard calipers and then would it be possible to get a set from Wilwood?

Advice appreciated

Best Regards

John

John,
Yes you can do it......
1.. You need to match the area of the pistons in the wilwood caliper to be the same as standard calipers otherwise the pedal will be either rock hard or go to the floor
2.. You may have to make custom mounting adaptor plates to get any bespoke caliper to fit.
3.. You may have to add or remove brake pipes, remember the standard calipers have two feeds.
4.. Ensure that the Wilwood caliper will accept pads which have approxiamately the same area as standard pads and "sweep" the correct area of the disk. otherwise they will warp due to poor heat distribution.

For a road / track day car a well sorted standard system is more than up to the job. The most effective upgrades for your money....
1... Change the pad material to a "harder" grade
2... Use racing fluid in the system
3... Fit braided hoses from the likes of Goodridge

I personally would not recommend grooved /drilled disks for a road car, they wear out pads at an alarming rate, are noisy - squeal etc and need more effort in slow stop start traffic.

Unless your building an all out racing car I personally think you would be wasting lots of money, but that's the grippy Yorkshireman in me :wink:

Malc

PS what Dimensions do you need? as I have "easy" access to a front strut!

I agree with malc, what are you achieving by changing the calipers and discs? Sure, cross drilled discs look sexy but the holes which allow the gasses which build up between the pad and disc during heavy braking to escape are also the starting point for cracks, I speak from experience and know a few others who agree (speak to Dave at D.P. Motorsport in Warrington and ask him what he thinks of drilled discs) The grooves which are supposed to deglaze the pads (lol) fill up with brake dust over time and so render themselves useless.
I can see one advantage to fitting aftermarket calipers which is that normally they are made from aluminium and are therefore a lot lighter. This has the benefit of lowering the unsprung mass which has the effect of improving the handling but 99% of the time you'd never know.
Goodridge hoses and better friction linings gets my vote, a word about racing fluid though, it needs changing far more often than "standard" fluid as it absorbs moisture more readily. D.O.T 5 should be fine.

Back