brake fluid reservoir circuit

rubing

Reaction score
I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the mechanical cutoff circuit in the brake fluid reservoir cap working right. Recall, There is a bobber which floats in the reservoir and attached to a long nail looking thing. This nail looking thing presses up (since it's bobbing) on a metal push contact in the brake fluid cap.

It seems my bobber and attached metal rod is not pushing up forcefully enough. I did make a repair on the grommett which attaches the bobber to the metal rod by inserting an additional o-ring to keep the deteriorating grommet in place. I don't think the additional o-ring is weighing it down, b/c it appears to still bob nicely. Maybe, there is a problem with the angle it's hitting the contact?

I have searched the internet for a replacement grommet, but no dice :( Hoping somebody's got a suggestion. THanks!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the mechanical cutoff circuit in the brake fluid reservoir cap working right. Recall, There is a bobber which floats in the reservoir and attached to a long nail looking thing. This nail looking thing presses up (since it's bobbing) on a metal push contact in the brake fluid cap.

It seems my bobber and attached metal rod is not pushing up forcefully enough. I did make a repair on the grommett which attaches the bobber to the metal rod by inserting an additional o-ring to keep the deteriorating grommet in place. I don't think the additional o-ring is weighing it down, b/c it appears to still bob nicely. Maybe, there is a problem with the angle it's hitting the contact?

I have searched the internet for a replacement grommet, but no dice :( Hoping somebody's got a suggestion. THanks!

hi
as the system is common to the e9, i speak true when say that a common issue is that there is no proper seal between the metal rod and the floater so brake fluid comes inisde the floater and thus it floats less than it is supposed to, check the floater
another issue is the angle, yes, be careful when you close the cap, and try to allign the rod with it.

but anyway if there has been damage in the filter hole that supports the passing rod, the angle will be impossible to control, and then you will need a replacement