Brake line from reservoir to brake

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brake fluid reservoir still has the blue cloth hoses. I"ve pulled them from the reservoir, but how do they disconnect from the other side (brake cilinder)?
It looks like they are connected to a plastic 90 degree elbow tube, which in turn sits in a rubber grommet inside the metal brake cilinder body.

Just pull the plastic elbow (gently) out from the rubber grommet?

(Pic is just showing the reservoir, it's the connection to the brake cilinder , just below the edge of the pic, that I'm talking about)

Ps. Can I re-use the blue cloth brake line? It doesn't take any pressure(I think....), so as long as its intact, no issues?

Attachments

• 20210912_222250.jpg
    20210912_222250.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 93

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks @HB Chris!

They were quite stuck! At first pulling didn't really work. Felt that I was close to snapping the plastic elbow piece. I then used a piece of a towel, carefully positioned inside the elbow to pull on the hose.

I'm just an average guy: I needed both hands.

Still thinking about reusing them, as they cleaned up so well....
I noticed that they don't have tube clamps; can I therefore assume that the reservoir is not pressurized?

Secondly, the 'What if" question...
What if one of those blue hoses would develop a leak?
I think it would just cause the (idiot) red brake booster light to come on & only after like hundreds of km's /miles I would start loosing braking, correct?

(Inviting to be called an idiot here for considering to keep things original, while putting my life at risk. My wife taught me to ask for second opinions before doing just that ...)

Attachments

• 16315508938565215730566919360087.jpg
    16315508938565215730566919360087.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No clamps on the hoses as there is no pressure. Grommets and plastic elbows still available. Cloth covered hose can hide hairline cracks and who wants brake fluid leaking in the engine bay? Yours do look nice though.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
insert the plastic elbows into the rubber grommets then insert into the MC as a unit.