Brake rotors same as early E24?

sreams

Reaction score
I've noticed that most of the general auto parts houses that offer rotors for the 3.0CS show only non-vented rotors (Is there such a thing as a post-2800CS with solid rotors?). I've run into the same problem in the past trying to get rebuilt calipers. The ones offered tend to be for solid rotors and do not fit. My solution was to order early E24 calipers. Are the E24 rotors the same as the 3.0CS?

-Scott

sreams

Reaction score
I can partially answer my own question...

RealOEM shows that the CS rotors have a 272mm diameter, while the E24 calipers are 280mm. I wonder if that means I can bump up to the E24 size, since I already have the calipers...

MMercury

Reaction score
Does 8mm make a difference? Probably.

There is a little latitude, but I can almost guarantee the taller rotor will interfere with the metal anti-rattle clip that fits underneath the caliper brake retention pins. The manual calls this the "spreader spring."

I vaguely recall someone else who tried the same or a similar replacement. He may have even used a newer E24 caliper too. If I recall correctly, there was no noticeable interference when the rotor was installed and turned by hand. But - the interference became noticeable as an annoying scraping noise when things heated up and expanded. And then there were the metal filings. Putting rotor on lathe and cutting it a smidgen seemed to make everything A-OK.

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

11000001_z.jpg

26.png