Brakes options

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need brake discs for my E9 project and I heard that E12 and E24 discs are interchangeable with the E9, is this correct? I've checked part #s and they don't match but that doesn't mean they aren't interchangeable.

Will the discs bolt straight up to the hubs or will I need new hubs as well, and does this also mean new axles?
Ditto for the calipers, i.e. will the E9 calipers suffice or will I need the matching calipers for the disc from the donor car and will these calipers bolt up to the carrier?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edit - Found out E24 discs are the same part #s so that answers that part of the question. E12s are 280mm X 22mm for 528 and 280mm X 25mm for 535i vs 272 X 19 for the E9, so my question still stands, i.e. can E12s be used?

Last edited:

rodspock

Reaction score
Gary,

I was able to get new discs at my local brake shop here in Brisbane.

I think I ordered 3.0 Si discs, which were the correct size.

Try that locally at the Gold Coast - if it does not work I will try and dig up a receipt.

Cheers,

Rod

PS. How is the colour choice coming along?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Rod. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking that if there is a brake option where I could upgrade to a larger disc size without having to change everything I would go that way.
Still thinking about colour - Verona is looking strong. I rather like Inka but I better let you be the only Inka guy in the village.

Do you have a pic of that diff reinforcement plate, I lost the email you sent me. Thanks.

rodspock

Reaction score
Gary,

Diff reinforcement picture is attached. I also have the CAD drawing and a file that will go straight into a laser cutting machine.

The plate is connected via long bolts to the diff mount. I also have nuts immediately clamping the plate and upper box section, another set of nuts reinforcing the lower box section (immediately above the diff mount), then the nuts holding the diff mount.

Cheers,

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 113