Brass coolant tanks repair

restart

Reaction score
I was looking into coolant tank repair.
Has anyone used the brass musical instrument or paintless dent removal technique...the instrument repair guys have some interesting tools but should be pretty straightforward PDR tool for this? it seems brass tanks are perfect subjects.
or maybe drill a small hole to pull a dent and the braze the hole Instead of taking it apart.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
An old school body man taught me an interesting way to raise small dents out of trim when I was trying to restore some A model Ford brass headlight rings.It was to take a spoon, I used a soup spoon, and slap, kind of in a sliding motion over the dent. It will raise the metal enough that you can then work it with some emory cloth or what ever you choose to use and in my case it turned out perfect. Oh and my dent was right on the face curve of the rim a hard place to reach because of the rolled edge.. I have used this many times on many different things including some of my wife's jewelry and with patience it works every time. Kind of thing you do while watching TV

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An old school body man taught me an interesting way to raise small dents out of trim when I was trying to restore some A model Ford brass headlight rings.It was to take a spoon, I used a soup spoon, and slap, kind of in a sliding motion over the dent. It will raise the metal enough that you can then work it with some emory cloth or what ever you choose to use and in my case it turned out perfect. Oh and my dent was right on the face curve of the rim a hard place to reach because of the rolled edge.. I have used this many times on many different things including some of my wife's jewelry and with patience it works every time. Kind of thing you do while watching TV
I think I need a YouTube video on this.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried to google up something but this must be such a secret nothing shows. Basically you are really brushing across the metal or slapping it in a circular motion. My guess is it is heating the metal enough to cause it to expand. The "slapping" isn't done with any force it's more like tapping but something you get a feel for as you do it. It does work. It's also done on body panels but with a different technique involving a tool or body type hammer called a "slapper" except they use a dolly with it. You can find U tubes on this called metal shaping with a slapper