bright window trim for 3.0 coupe

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a resource for the stainless trim around the windshield and rear window for a '73 3.0 Coupe?
Is it east to install?
Thanks for your advice.
Michael

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Available new from BMW last I checked and expensive (of course). Impossible to install without removing the glass, and have that done by pros who have done it before if at all possible. Not a job to be taken lightly.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
This stuff is actually a polished aluminum. It should be available from your dealer. I seem to recall it is about $80-100 per piece (two per windshield).

I bought a new set for my front and found used set for my rear. I was told it would be destroyed when being removed. This is not true, once the glass is out it can be safely removed with ease. I now have a front set in good condition and a rear set in good condition with the exception of one nick (which I think could be rubbed out from the back side with patience). My are from a 71/72 and they should be the same, if you are interested in them send me a PM.

Coupeguy is absolutely right about the process, the glass must come out. The gaskets are also available from the dealer, around $90 for the front at least. Who ever installs it must be familiar with roping-in techniques. The coupe actually has a triple seal gasket which is beyond painful to get in place. I had a pro do mine and it took him 4 attempts and 4 cans of glass gasket lube to get it.

If you take your glass out you should also consider that this is an opportune time for the real coupe masochist to change the headliner. I had an "upholstery artist" lined up to do mine and he backed out at the last minute. I wound up doing it myself with material from World Upholstery. It came out OK but only because I spent two full weekends and had a large supply of weatherstrip adhesive and binder clips. I have a sunroof car which, I believe, make this job less difficult. Since it has a hardboard (cardboard) roof panel to glue to you do not need to sew hanger loops in every 10-12 inches. The moving sunroof section can actually be done separately; it is possible to remove it through the top.

Reaction score
Thanks for the lead on the aluminum trim. I may have a pro install it. I currently have black trim around the windshields. It seems strange that as the old is removed, a rope should be able to be placed in the gasket's groove allowing the new trim to easily be installed...leaving the glass in place.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The rope is not used to pull in the trim. The rope goes in the groove that mates with the car body (lip); it pulls the entire windshield and gasket into position. Basically it is used to lift the inner seal of the gasket over the window from lip to grab around and pinch in the head/piller liners. The rope is pulled from the inside working from left to right and then slowly up the sides. While this is being done the glass and trim must be pushed solidly to the car to prevent the gasket from rolling and the trim from popping out. It is a two person (minimum) job.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Good question. I checked my part database software and it only shows one choice:

Front - Decorative Trim Left - 51 31 7 740 117
Front - Decorative Trim Right - 51 31 7 740 118
Rear - Decorative Trim Right - 51 31 7 740 168
Rear - Decorative Trim Left - 51 31 7 740 167

I suspect someone must have modified yours. Back in the 70's / 80's many people painted chrome items on the hood black to reduce reflection glare. I even remember painting my E3 chrome wipers black - must have been about 1979 or so.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Window trim

In January I bought the front trims for about $65 each from the dealer with discount. The rears were $265 each before discount, I didn't need them that badly!

Reaction score
I figured that the trims were painted black in the 80's. My wiper arms and blades are black as well. I guess I can live with them "as is" as long as it does not look wrong for the car...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wiper arms and blades went black in the US in `74. It was a DOT thing, you know, they might cause glare. Window trims stayed bright aluminum.