Bristolgrau anyone?

RohJay

Reaction score
Contemplating the color "Bristolgrau - 058".

Name suggests GREY but several sites list it as a BLUE

Anyone here have this color or seen it up close?

Mario L.

Reaction score
We have a fully restored Bristol Gray 2002 that we service regularly.
The color is truly a light gray, almost battleship gray , or to others a machine tool gray . . .

Get's a lot of looks, but really is such a flat color that it does nothing for the lines of the car, I can't see a CS Coupe in this color.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree. It looks like a washed out dull Polaris. My coupe is Polaris and the silver does wonders for the lines of the car. Shows off the brilliant design.

Steve ONeill

RohJay

Reaction score
Thanks for the link DJSimca.

@Mario and Steve:

Interesting observations, though complete opposite to my visualization.
I was earlier fixed on Polaris, but was counting on Bristolgrau being low-key (when compared to Polaris).
My thinking was the "dull" color would bring out the lines of the car better than a flashy color.
ie. when the color is bright, doesnt the COLOR take center stage, rather than the lines ?
Also should note car will have the full BAT gear on, including the Tri-Color CSL stripes.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

Following this conversation, you will find hereafter a photo of a BMW '71 farb und ausstattungmusterbuch" dedicated to customers.
Years before computer, you could choose color of your car ,placing charts under the transparent profile.
This gives us the opportunity of seeing an E9, half painted polaris metallic 60 and other half bristol 58.
The difference is all the more obvious, as one is metallic, and the other not.
And bristol is definitively gray........
...if this can help.

RohJay

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, yes it definitely helps.
The color appears to be exactly as i expected.

Polaris obviously is a safe choice, but Bristol ... understated, yet will evoke 'love it or hate it' polarity...

BTW I find this method a whole lot more endearing than a computer generated image. How positively quaint!

MichaelP

Reaction score
If you want to know if you like Bristol or not, use gray primer and then imagine it glossy. The US Navy generally refers to the color as Haze Gray.

battleship.jpg

G

Reaction score
Hi Rohjay,

Have you looked at PolarisBlau 061 ? Its silver with a hint of blue .
I used it on my 2002..If you want some pics drop me an email.

Best of luck
Giorgio

standard.jpg

Mario L.

Reaction score
body lines and shapes are highlighted by the reflection of light . . polaris does this well, gray likely wn't, but if you do stripes . . it might be better as polaris and stripes might be over the top . . .