Building oil prz on rebuilt engine before installation- Yes/No and How?

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Hopefully some time this century we will be installing our freshly rebuilt stock 2800CS engine. It was rebuilt year and a half ago and has been sitting waiting and waiting for body work, paint, etc etc. We have been hand turning it weekly, sitting on dolly with tranny attached. We did pack some grease in the oil pump and still have stock oil canister and filled it.

We plan on temporary mechanical oil prz gauge to monitor. So what have other done? Sorry if this has been covered before but could not find.

I remember a few years ago we did an Austin Healey 3000 motor and had to make a air pressure feed gizmo of some sort to insure oils got to all the bearings, etc. This was instead of spinning and spinning the engine. It was a static procedure. What we did was to air force oil in thru the oil filter adapter. A few pics are included for the healey engine.

So anyone done a similar procedure on our engines or is it not necessary, that oil prz should come right up.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

DCP_4581.JPG

DCP_4587.JPG
DCP_4589.JPG

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fill the oil cannister and pour the rest of the oil over the valve train. You won't build pressure to the head by just cranking.
Fire it up.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I crank the engine over on the starter with no plugs with an oil pressure tester in place of the sender in the head. Builds pressure pretty quickly since it spins fast enough and doesn't have to fight the compression.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Won't you get oil squirting everywhere?

Don't forget to add break in zinc additive (or just use break in oil with that already in it)

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Won't you get oil squirting everywhere?

Don't forget to add break in zinc additive (or just use break in oil with that already in it)
Regarding the Healey procedure. No my recollection is none. As i remember the issue was to get the oil to the bearings first. Something to do with the oil passage routing. By going directly into oil filter housing it delivered the oil to the bearings. Anyhow that was years ago (memory fuzzy) but it did work. After doing so we spun engine after oil filter install and up came the pressure. Maybe at the end of the day it was just a science project, but it was advised by the gurus on the Healey six forum.

From the responses so far that does not seem to be an issue with our engines.

Yes I all use Brad Penn oil, the old Kendall GT green oil. Great stuff.

Thanks

jjs2800cs

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I meant that if the spark plugs were out, wouldn't oil shoot out while cranking?
I'd think not. If your rings are that bad, I'd suspect you'd have some pretty massive plug fouling as well as some smoke while the car is running. Think about the number of revolutions your engine makes between oil changes and yet you must add little if any oil.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I meant that if the spark plugs were out, wouldn't oil shoot out while cranking?
The Healey procedure was static, the engine was not spun when the pressure to the small oil reservoir was applied. I suppose one could think of the air pressure forcing the oil into the case as acting like an oil pump. If I remember some even slightly heated the oil.

Thanks

jjs2800cs

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve done it multiple times both recommissioning cars after long periods and on fresh motors and no issues whatsoever. There should never be so much oil in the combustion chamber that anything resembling a squirt would occur.