built in rear fog lamp, what year?

pat cooks

Reaction score
When did UK cars have the built in rear fog lamp next to the left rear lamp? or when did they drop it? was it special order or std. I guess they dropped it because it was on the "wrong" side for RHD?

pat cooks

Reaction score
I have worked on a few with it, there is a hole in the rear panel and in the alloy trim panel, a square rear fog lamp is fitted, seen it on 1971 cars but unsure when they stopped fitting it on RHD.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have worked on a few with it, there is a hole in the rear panel and in the alloy trim panel, a square rear fog lamp is fitted, seen it on 1971 cars but unsure when they stopped fitting it on RHD.

The rear fog light was an option with the 2800CS, so in general it was an early feature. I suppose after that it boils down to when the RHD’s were first offered. @HB Chris had a thread going about early RHD CSI’s...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since the UK requires it to be on the driver side I thought it was not available in the tail panel but was added under the bumper.

pat cooks

Reaction score
It was definately available on early RHD cars, I have a September registered 71 manual 3.0 carburettor coupe with it, but I was wondering when it was dropped as an option? I suspect a few UK customers were a bit miffed when their new car turned up with a LH rear fog, or were rear fog lamps so unusual at that time it was just accepted?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 74 has it under the bumper…unfortunately nearly all pictures I have of RHD E9's are from the front. I'll have a look through though to see if I can find any pics of cars without it under the bumper.

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 74 has it under the bumper…unfortunately nearly all pictures I have of RHD E9's are from the front. I'll have a look through though to see if I can find any pics of cars without it under the bumper.
1619368216128.png