Bumper and Trim Question

Upset99

Reaction score
How long should it take a Professional Body Man to remove and then re-install bumpers (front and rear) on a 74 model (assuming that there is no rust/corrosion problems)? Any idea for removing the trim from a car and accessories in good shape and reinstalling after painting? I have an idea a Body Shop is trying to screw me.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Your questions

More info needed to answer your question:

is the 1974 a US spec car with big bumpers?
Euro model with small ones?
in what country do you live?
in or near large busy metropolitan area?
in or near mid-size city or community that isn't as driven?
in a slower paced small town?
do you rely on workman solely to do the dis-assembly and reassembly?
do you do some of the "hand work" yourself?

I have groused about the matter of where one lives many times--unless we have at least an accurate idea where you are located geographically--many answers will have little merit--and this situation doesn't seem to improve due to lack of info provided by many participants on their profiles.

Upset99

Reaction score
The car is the American 74 model in good condition with the bulkly bumpers. The work was performed in San Antonio, Texas for the purpose of re-painting the entire car. I understand there are variations for the total dollar amount but this is why I posed the question as how much Time would be needed. There should be some guys on this board who has done this operation more than once.

Malc

Reaction score
I cannot give you a cost but bear in mind that the removal of all the trim required is a time consuming process, plus if the body shop comes up against rusty, siezed and damaged bits then this all adds time.
The worst bit will be getting the belt/waist trim off because it involves taking the interior apart, removing the rear side windows, and taking the doors apart to get at the trim there.

Cost will also depend on how good a job your asking for as to do the job properly all the trim, lights, and glass should be removed.

Upset99

Reaction score
I am very very lucky, the car had zero in the corrosion/rust department. It is an earlier restoration. So the variation of time is the trim? How about the bumpers? Any estimates? Does anyone have the book on Standard times that body shops use assuming our cars are listed?

Malc

Reaction score
Paint jobs are 99% preparation 1% paint

Any "variation" in time will be due to problems encountered and the difficulty in trim removal and replacement.
As far as I am aware there are no "standard" time sheet/costings for an E9. It was built and serviced commercially long before the accountants, time and motion people entered the fray!
However I would consider the size and levels of trim to be about the same as a modern Jaguar XJ6 so you could use Jaguar costs as a rough, and I mean rough, guide.
In the UK painting a car is not cheap. Even if you strip the car to a rolling shell your looking at the thick end of £1500 (~US$ 3000) just to prep and paint. Any remedial work soon sends the costs soaring.

Depending on the bumper type, either standard or American impact, and assuming that all the nuts and bolts can be freed off easily I would estimate
about 1/2 hour for the front.
The rear will take a little longer, the boot side trim has to be removed, plus the number plate lights wiring has to be disconnected.
As the impact bumpers are heavier I suspect it will be a 2 person job.
Putting them back on will take longer as greater care is required. Remember the socks on the bumper ends to stop the paint being damaged! (Great tip)