Bumper Assembly Question

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have accumulated a series of parts to replace my bent rear bumper, including a straight bumper, a pair of bumper horns, and the holder strips that are riveted to the bumper that hold the rubber on.

For those of you who have assembled one of these babies, what is the assembly sequence? It appears that the strips are riveted to the bumper, then the bumper is bolted together and then the rubber is stretched over the holder strips. It also appears that an adhesive is applied as the rubber strip is stretched on to the strips. Stretching, gluing and holding the rubber strip in place all at one time looks rather daunting. Help would be appreciated.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No glue needed. Bend the rubber back against itself and the channel opens up so you can place it over the metal strip. Having it warm also helps.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, follow Chris' advice; NO GLUE, I am doing the same thing to Polaris now. Clean out the channel and use some rubber treatment in there. It will soften it up. It is not difficult at all so if you are having trouble you may be working at it too hard. If you are still having trouble let me know and I will send you detailed pictures.

Peter

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Just replaced the two strips on the bumper and this is the way I did it.
Paint two or three coats of decent paint on bothe sides of the strips.
Clean the chrome under the rubber and clean the rubber, leave it in the sun to soften, a hair dryer will help.
Use a little diluted washing up liquid and work from the outside in to the middle.

Cheers John

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just replaced the two strips on the bumper and this is the way I did it.
Paint two or three coats of decent paint on bothe sides of the strips.
Clean the chrome under the rubber and clean the rubber, leave it in the sun to soften, a hair dryer will help.
Use a little diluted washing up liquid and work from the outside in to the middle.

Cheers John

Paint the strips to make them slicker. Thanks.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used the stainless steel strips which seem to work pretty well, as mentioned below, clean the bumper chrome, if you are not replacing the strips then you may want to apply some rust prevention. I would avoid getting paint on the rubber. All in all it's an easy project that looks great when you are finished. It's well worth the time and makes a great visual improvement to the car- especially from the rear.