Bumper conversion

ottof

Reaction score
Good morning,I just purchased a 1974 3.0cs,overall not a lot of rust fairly good condition,I will like totally restore it.I am in the process of slowly purchasing all the parts that I will need.Does anybody know's which year bumpers are easier to adapt to convert it or if a Bavaria bumper will fit and what year.I really don't like those modern bumpers.Also is there someone in Dallas that has gone through this process that I might contact?
thks vm
Otto Haeussler
Dallas,Tx

dtortoise9

Reaction score
Plan on spending around 5-6K to put on smaller bumpers. That would include all the parts, rechromed bumpers, new rubber and bodywork. I don't think y9ou can get away with much less and parts are getting harder to find. I have a 74 and just went through the conversion.
Don't know about Bavaria bumpers but off the top of my head I woulod say that they wouldn't work.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience was somewhat different. Now granted this was probably about ten years ago, but I bought used front and rear bumpers for about $300 for the set and had them re-chromed for another $300 - $400. The rubber on the front pieces was good, so I only had to replace the rear rubber which cost me around $100. I had the body shop put these on when the car was getting painted and repaired, so maybe this kept prices down, but they didn't even charge me extra for the work and the total charge for the paint and body work was $3500. They did an excellent job; you couldn't tell the euro bumpers were anything but a factory install. Again, this was ten years ago, but I just don't see why this is a $5 - $6K job. Mounting the rear bumper is about as straightforward as you can get and while there is some fabrication for the mounts in the front, I don't think they are making brackets for the space shuttle. The biggest cost nowadays, I imagine, would be the parts, but be patient and wait for someone who is parting his car out or given up on his project. Also, look for a smaller/less well known body shop as they may be more willing to tackle a conversion project like this for reasonable money; I visited at least a dozen body shops before I settled on one. I have since bought another '74 with the big bumpers. I plan on taking off the bumpers and putting a CSL (fiberglass) bumper for the rear and going bumperless with an Alpina air dam in the front. With the cost of the bumper, air dam, and body/paint work, I should complete the project for under $1400.

good luck,

Walt

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder if the E9 can have an attractive bumperless variant like some of the Alfas. I went to see Alvin's Alfa stepnose being restored (and announced on this BB), and the bumperless look of the Alfa is great.

Tundra

Reaction score
Bavarian bumpers will positively, absolutely and without a doubt NOT fit. They look the same but are shaped differently.

ottof

Reaction score
Thanks very7 much guys for taking the time to respond, you will be hearing from me ,this will be a do it yourself project and i will have lot's of?
You"ll have great day