bumper question

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if I were to remove the rubber bumper strip (front or rear) from my 1972, which appear to be attached with rivets... what would be the best way to reattach the rubber strip??

Anyone done this? Thanks!

arnie

Reaction score
the rubber strip is lose itself. It's just moved over a sheetmetal profil. This is riveted to the bumper.
So if these profiles are not rusted away already, you don't need to remove them to remove the rubber strips.
These profiles are available as spare parts, if they are more or less completely gone (the normal case :)). But you could also use a simple sheetmetal strip with spacers instead.

cheers

Ingo

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was able to remove the rivets and drill out the holes in the metal strip (clean them up) then I got some low profile machine screws and rounded down the heads so I could still get a Philips driver on them and attached the metal strips and slid the rubber over them. Hope that helps.

Peter

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was able to remove the rivets and drill out the holes in the metal strip (clean them up) then I got some low profile machine screws and rounded down the heads so I could still get a Philips driver on them and attached the metal strips and slid the rubber over them. Hope that helps.

Peter

I just did this process and used new metal strips and used pop rivets to hold them on.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did it the bass ackwards way because when I got my bumpers there were channels made out of pieces of a license plate, I didn't know any better and figured you couldn't get the right pieces so I made new channels (used more substantial steel though) and used screws and ground down the heads so they would be flush (so they would fit into the little "U" shape of the channel, I then put the channels on the rubber strip and positioned them so they would line up with the holes in the bumper. Since the bumpers were off it was easy to get a really tight and straight fit.