Bumper swap

66toaster

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the range of cost to remove DOT '74 CSi bumpers & buy & install the previous style (front & back) bumpers? (I saw a post in the archives that it's possible to do this.)

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This conversion has been done many times before but it's not going to be cheap. Assuming you can find good to excellent sets of used chromed front and rear bumpers---$2000? then remove old bumper, shocks and body panel modification work/paint---$3000? Try to find the best and most complete sets of bumpers including mounting brackets as you can find as the replacement parts are frightening expensive. Rechroming cost of bumpers is equally frightening. So your total will be around $5000 to $6000. These figures are all approximate. Good luck in your endeavor.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
bumpers...

sorry to say that Bert's probably close to on the money, as I've been there...You might luck up and find some good chrome bumpers for $800-1000, but they'll need attention. Not to mention the rubber pieces-parts. Body-work guess is probably right on as well. The good news is that aluminum is bringing big bucks at the recycler....Sorry. If you are painting/doing a body resto, then its much more justifiable while they are already welding and grinding anyway....Thats when I did mine so I cant give you an exact price for that one aspect. Aesthetically (for me), worth every penny, however. Dave V. in western NC

74 Polaris (72 bumpers)
72 Chamonix, in limbo
72 Blucoop in Houston tonite.. Supposed to be in trailer tomorrow afternoon headed this way...

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Big Bumpered Coupes

The challenge of converting from big to small has been beaten and beaten for years--

For a temporary big improvement that helps a lot--do the following--unless there is the burning desire to drop the 6-8 grand as indicated or is being done in connection with a full re-paint, etc.

1) remove F/R bumpers--strip all rubber pieces
2) drill holes in bumper shocks--let fluid drain--similar to coolant
3) collapse and weld solid or bolt them as tight as possible
4) check amount of trimming spacers needed for your fitment--then carefully trim them to achieve a clean butted fit--be very careful with this step and don't screw up as good replacements are very scarce
5) search out a suitable epoxy to bond those nice clean bellow cuts together--check with a good body shop for such a product
6) there--much tidier appearance

another suggestion--
Before final re-assembly--take your bumpers to a polishing shop and have them de-anodized and the better surface polished--as I recall you can flip the bumper and usually find the un-exposed surface is in better shape--clear coat the best surface and you will have a much more attractive final result,

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Did you see the post by "TILLA" on Friday Jun 29,2007 of the conversion that "TTsf" had done? I plan on going this route later this year.Looks like the best of both worlds of bumper mounting brackets.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bumpers

Since you're putting an air dam on the front anyway I'll state the obvious and suggest just going with a rear bumper. Lots of examples in the Photo section. I only use the front bumper when I have the boats on the roof - otherwise it's an extra 30lbs and not much protection.

On the other hand looks like you're almost there anyway.

Might see you this summer.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice work!

I always figured this would be the obvious place to start for a big bumper conversion and know some have done something like this before.

It would be great to see your efforts documented for those of us who plan to do the same, - in the form of a how-to. It would make a valuable addition to the content of this site. TIA.