Bushing “B” into sleeve “A”: How to Tips

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
687767DB-1104-40FA-9F35-890B0A47D776.jpeg

So, what is the easy way to get the bushing B into place?

Don’t tempt me…I’ll cut the sleeve, pry open, insert bushing, hammer closed and tack weld the sleeve back together.

There is a better way, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help or direction to the answer.

RP

I saw on a post about BMW motorcycles that when you are dealing with inserting rubber on or in something, you can douse it in isopropyl alcohol and that will make the rubber slippery for just a few moments and then it evaporates. I've done it with the rubber fuel sender flange in a Volvo and it worked like a charm. I can't say if it will work in this instance, but it's a good tip to keep in mind.
Also an engineer friend of mine told me of a product they used to put the hand grips on treadmills that was kind of like snot, but then in short order would dry out and lock the grips in place. I don't remember the name though, I'll have to ask him.

A smear of rubber friendly lubricant or dishwashing liquid, then pull it in with a bolt. With a large washer at the front, and a piece of pipe larger than the bush, or a socket and washer at the rear, nut at the front and it should slide in.

Ian, common sense prevails.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look for all the right pieces to pull it in tomorrow.I’ll try to post some photographs to help the next guy.

Thank you.

RP

Sorry, got it slightly a over t .Pull the bush in from the rear, pipe/ socket nut at front. There are pics in the blue book

Hey, a use for “that” blue book.
I’ ve got one and I’ll look it up to see how Hans and Franz did it in the day.

Thanks, again.

RP

I saw on a post about BMW motorcycles that when you are dealing with inserting rubber on or in something, you can douse it in isopropyl alcohol and that will make the rubber slippery for just a few moments and then it evaporates. I've done it with the rubber fuel sender flange in a Volvo and it worked like a charm. I can't say if it will work in this instance, but it's a good tip to keep in mind.
Also an engineer friend of mine told me of a product they used to put the hand grips on treadmills that was kind of like snot, but then in short order would dry out and lock the grips in place. I don't remember the name though, I'll have to ask him.
Used to do the alcohol trick with BMX grips back in the 70s. You could also use old school hair spray if you were really quick about it. Once it dried it kind of turned to glue.

I pulled those bushes in with
Red rubber caliper grease
A pipe similar to that shown in the blue book, but I cut it an angle as I recall the subframe was not square onto it.
I cleaned up the subframe first to make sure that was good and smooth.
Once I did this it was easy.

Red rubber caliper grease
This is a great lubricant for any rubber component as it is vegetable based and won't cause deterioration of the material. Use for all brake component rebuilds, the o-ring for the fuel sender in the gas tank, pulling wires through a rubber grommet, ...

Next, do your trailing arms the same way, pop em pot and pop new ones in. There is a write-up on the senior six site on how to make such tools.

Back