CA Smog test requirement for post 67 grey market cars

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I would post this as we know it can be difficult to register a grey market car here. I saw this on Facebook so there is hope:

“DMV had placed hold on my vehicle's registration because of ARB's requirements. They asked me to contact ARB and get their approval, which I did. Air Resources Board provided me with the name and contact information of several companies that conduct testing that complies with the requirements of the ARB. I contacted them one by one, explained the situation, provided them with the DMV letter and ARB letter and asked them to respond to me in writing if they would conduct testing that ARB required. None of them had the right equipment and proper licensing to do so. After receiving response letters from all of them indicating that at this time, they were not able to conduct the tests that ARB required, I sent them all to ARB and after a long review and checking (by ARB) they have issued a letter exemption. That letter went to the DMV in Sacramento to remove the suspension on my registration and register my vehicle. That's all.”

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds like the smog issue is resolved, still concerned about gray market cars that don’t have federal safety requirement sticker.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really, I feel bad for you guys. Not sure why Ca has to be two standard deviations to the right for everything c/w other states. Always amazed at what some bureaucrat decided was a cancer hazard only in CA. Can someone show me the incidence of different cancer types is less per 100k than other states? Regulation with no sound data is a politician's dream.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sketchy situation, buying a CSi or other not sold in the USA model and then relying on “if” the CARB and DMV will agree.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sketchy situation, buying a CSi or other not sold in the USA model and then relying on “if” the CARB and DMV will agree.
I don’t disagree but at least there is a reasonable path as we know no one knows what the DMV wants and no one can test for it either.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
So if you have a euro titled in one state and move to Ca, is the situation still the same?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So if you have a euro titled in one state and move to Ca, is the situation still the same?
Yes it can be an issue, this happened to two coupe owners who bought cars from out of state in the last two years. The only out is if it is registered in your name for at least two years in another state and then you bring it in.