California DMV records pre 1991

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the process of tracing the history of my coupe, I have data back to 1991, when it was traded at Vintage Motorcar Co in Encinitas. The new owner bought it and moved it to Las Vegas. Does anyone know if this business is still there? Does anyone have an idea of how to obtain ownership history of this car prior to 1991. Just trying to see where it resided, if it was in Cali all that time, etc. Owners names are not important to me. Thanks,
Scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott

You have more info than most of us have. Repair bills, old registrations and owner's notes provide the only clues. California DMV will not provide any info and doesn't retain it anyway. Do you know the California license plate number from that 1991 sale by any chance?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just Googled "Vintage Motor Car" Encinitas and found out they may have become Cardiff Classics sometime between 1993 and 2005.

http://cardiff-classics.ebizautos.com/

I know the area, it is right near the well known Swammies surf spot. The address was 1049 Highway 101. Glenn Mueller from this board may have some info, good luck

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cardiff Classics is still in business and Chris has the correct location. Their local reputation is positive and they have a good deal of turnover in terms of nice cars on their lot. Give them a call to see if they might have additional information for you- with the understanding that it is unlikely they have it. Send me a PM off line if you'd like me to stop by for you.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
More on tracing a car's history

Thanks for the suggestions. I will call Cardiff Classics. Definitely the same location where this car was sold in 1991. Looking at the papers in detail, it looks like the selling dealer, Vintage Motorcar Co (now Cardiff Classics), bought the car from another dealer, Rex Enterprises at 7905 Balboa Ave in San Diego. Today, that location is an ordinary used car lot called US Motors, as it probably was then. So, the trail most likely goes cold there. The car changed hands for 9000 then, but the buyer then turned around and did a 6100 dollar paint job (in 1991 dollars), and did a lot of other work as well. It is amazing to look at the invoices and what he paid for parts. Brand new, seat chrome was $11 for example. Rubber gasket for the door lock, one whole dollar. Most of the little trim items were available new from the dealer, Vasek Polek or from Maximillan Importing, etc. All for a pittance.
I sent a snail mail letter to the man who bought the car in 1991 and did all this work. He very kindly responded, and let me know more details. He drove the car a short distance to work on a daily basis for 9 years, racking up about 30K miles. He was in his early 30s then, now he is in his early 50s.
Sure would love to know more pre-1991.
HBChris, I could not find the plate number in the papers.

Last edited: