cam adapter nut question

Mike Goble

Reaction score
In my travels around NoCal I've come across a 76 530i in a junkyard about 50 miles away. This is an injected car with the old-style distributor. I've been looking at the RealOEM parts breakdown, and it isn't clear to me if I can grab the distributor drive mechanism off this car and apply it to my M30B35 motor. Does this car have all the parts, including the adapter nut?

61porsche

Reaction score
Cam and distributers

Mike,

Unfortunaly not. The 530i has the right cam to drive the distributer.

The adapter nut adds the drive extension for the distributer on a motronic crank/ damper/ ecu fired motor that doesn't use a distributer. They're available from Ireland, Metric Mechanic, Korman, and many OEM sources.

If you're sticking with the L/D jet or log manifold ( and many here do for the original look), swap the 533 head(or your old one) on the b35. The earlier head will give you a bump in compression of maybe 3/4 point because the chamber is smaller than the B35. Many have also modified the early FI to a combination of later ( updated,) FI or hybrid. But then you get into the associated mods/ fab for which some are comfortable with and some are not.

Best of luck....

Happy Holidays to all and best wishes for the New Year!