cam timing

reedreed

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have received rebuilt cylinder head (stamped as 1 288 086.9, 13 in circle, year 86) from the workshop
but as I can see for some reason the cam is not in TDC position - 1st cylinder lobes up.
So the question is how turn/set it on a bench? Or if I should put it on a block first how to turn/set it on the car with timing chain off?

reedreed

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Doesn't work for me - bolts started to bend but cam didn't move at all.
I'm not experienced enough but I didn't expect so high resistance here. Looks like something is going wrong.
How it possible that we can we rotate all the engine with 30 cm tool (crank+cam + even spark plugs installed)
and the same time I couldn't move cam on a bench with 50cm leverage?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious. Is there any evidence of damage during shipping? Have you checked the head for flatness? Photo? I've learned a little bit about the relationship of the cam journal to the "deck" of the head with respect to prior warpage. Hope that isn't the case here, but I am keenly interested in following along on your journey.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like it is at TDC for cylinder 6?
Have you installed the cam gear?

reedreed

Reaction score
tempImagezfg6DV.jpg

tempImage6gMf9s.jpg

tempImageax26ke.jpg
tempImagekCVmtz.jpg
tempImageX754oT.jpg

Hi Don,
Exactly! 1st cylinder lobes up, 6th cylinder lobes down. BUT, look what I have from the valves side:
1st cylinder - both valves closed
6th cylinder - both valves closed.
How its possible?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are moving up the ramp on Cylinder one cam lobes. Not at apex.

If I had a problem rolling the cam (41mm socket), I would roll the crank so all six pistons were below deck, install head (no gasket, 2 bolts) and try rolling the cam again. First I would check that every rocker was over it’s corresponding cam lobe.

If your rocker arm has moved out of position- you will break it with too much force.
Rockers can and do move.