Can headliner be re-used?

PaulinPa

Reaction score
My sunroof motor/drive needs looking at and I'm replacing windshield gaskets so I thought now would be a good time to pull headliner.PO had replaced zipper with stiching so it'd be nice to put zipp back in .I'm having a pro do the work.BUT, if I can't re-install headliner all bets are off.Guess I gotta remove rear piller black vinyl too?Any write ups on this?Thanks.

corsachili

Reaction score
Hard to imagine that the material would be suitable for re-use. Unless the headliner material is in perfect condition it wouldn't seem to make sense either. Unfortunately I don't think the original style material is available anymore so you'd have to find a suitable substitute. The black vinyl on the pillars is not a problem, it's easy to find. You have to remove front and rear windows (and all trim around the doors and rear windows to install headliner. It's not a trivial job and while you're doing it you might as well make the headliner look as new.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Original headliner material

original material is NLA--

so--since original material is very durable if there are no rips or other signs of deterioration--just clean it thoroughly with a bio-degradable cleaner such as Orange-All----voila--you may be surprised at the results and you have solved your problem.

In decades of ownership experience with our early BMW's have observed that some owners have neglected carpets and headliners by lack of or improper cleaning--instead--they are replaced when dirty--although thorough cleaning would actually restore to very presentable condition.

As an example--original carpet is still in place in the BLUMAX after 405K miles--still presentable and now a challenge to see how long it will last.

Malc

Reaction score
YES
It can be reused. However a word of warning, only clean it when it is in place, do not clean it out of the car as it can shrink, and thus will not fit again....
As I found out :oops:
MAlc

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
headliner re-use

I bought an impeccible used headliner (from CO) to replace my ratty one during my de-rust and repaint. No stains, rips, tears, etc. Murray's right, the material is great quality. However, when the trim guys went for the install, all of the thread for the seams disintegrated as they tried to pull it taut. The good news, is that the patterns were perfect as go by's. I think that Korman's trim guy used a period correct VW pattern that is pretty close, depending on your anality. Not sure that's a word...I sorta like it though. Going to see him tomorrow, and can check if anyones interested. It really does look proper, and is a non event, IMHO. Dave

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
vw headliner info...

Well, I dont think that I dreamed the VW comment. Ray Korman nor Allen remembered . Perhaps it's something that I read on this forum?! Might check the archives. Anyway, Allen is going to check with the outside shop that they use to check the source. It really looks good and only at Pebble Beach would anyone notice, IMHO. If I can get a sample, I'll send it up to you. Dave V. in NC

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what did it cost you to get your headliner redone?

And anyone know of a good way to hide those small seam splits that show up around the corners of the sunroof if you don't re-do your headliner?

nyccsi

Site Donor
Reaction score
headliners

The best place for headliners, around $140 including shipping.

ACME Auto Headlining, Inc.
550 West 16th Street
Long Beach, CA 90813
Main Phone: 562-437-0061

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
headliner re-do cost

Sorry, Eric, since it was part of a larger project, It was not broken down to do a legit comparison, i.e., windows and all trim was removed for paint, not specifically to do headliner. If you call Allen Patterson at Korman 336.275.1494, they could probably do a fairly close estimate. Nice fellow.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Mesa had a headliiner made for my Euro 635. Very close match to original material. Good fit.

Cost was about $75 about 3 years ago. ..
S

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Headliner material source

I got my replacement headliner material from Boyd Fechner. The replacement material is shown at left. It is a better match than anything else I looked at. The diamond punch matches, although it does not have the faux weave texture. If you're interested, pm me and I'll put you in touch with him.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.vranedom.com/vraneman/bmw/headliner/P7140300.JPG