Can someone help this new member

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I have talked to a new Coupe owner who is having a little trouble setting up his account and posting messages.

He ended up buying a Coupe located near Kingston Ontario that was in long term storage and is trying to get it home in a trailer. he wrote me the following and I said I could post it till he gets his account straightened out.

"Good Morning everybody. I just purchased a 1969 CS2800 car and I’m transporting back to my garage. I have an enclosed car trailer to keep the salt and weather off of the car (moving it about 6 hours in Ontario weather). Can somebody tell me how to properly secure the car down. Not sure where I can tie down the car with nylon straps. I’m thinking the service manual or owner’s manual has tie down points/locations or somebody has transported a car before and has some good ideas where to connect straps to car. Thanks.""

I think his account name will be JD4020 once it is activated.

Thanks, Bob.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
When the towing companies move a car on the flat decks they have a harness that allows them to tie down using the wheels. I do the same thing by running the straps through the openings in the wheels but it takes a little time to make sure the geometry is correct has to pull down and out from the car - not just down.

You can use the front tie loops on the frame rails and the rear swing arms as tie down points which is what the dyno operator uses. I wouldn't trust the rear sheet metal on the wheel well or the sheet metal tie downs that are near the shocks.

Good luck to the owner.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
When the towing companies move a car on the flat decks they have a harness that allows them to tie down using the wheels. I do the same thing by running the straps through the openings in the wheels but it takes a little time to make sure the geometry is correct has to pull down and out from the car - not just down.

You can use the front tie loops on the frame rails and the rear swing arms as tie down points which is what the dyno operator uses. I wouldn't trust the rear sheet metal on the wheel well or the sheet metal tie downs that are near the shocks.

Good luck to the owner.

Same here. The better tow guys seem to know this when they flatbed my car to Carl or Peter.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Leave in neutral and set the parking brake, if the trailer has tie downs you can get those wheel slings, though as mentioned below one end of the sling has to go through a U-bolt of some sort to exert downward pressure.

Good luck with your new gal!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here are a couple of pictures showing a pretty correct tie down procedure- hope it helps

Attachments

• tie down.jpg
    tie down.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 64
  • tie down6.jpg
    tie down6.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 78