Can someone please post a pic of where the fuel filter mounts?

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked through a number of books I have to no avail so I checked the reproduction manual I have and on page 68 I found a picture of the CSI filter mounted on what appears to be the battery tray. For the CS there is no mention of a filter other than the mesh screen in the pump.

Attachments

• CS_Filter.JPG
    CS_Filter.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 219

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I think we need to know your year and model to say.

On my 74 CSi it is on the firewall just in front of the wiper motor, i.e. nowhere near the battery tray.

Edit : and it looked like the one in the first post of the other thread.

I say "looked" as I got a new fuel pump installed a while back and that one had a proper filter on it so when I cleaned up the engine bay I skipped the second fuel filter.

Last edited:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 US CS also has the filter mounted to the firewall via a black plastic tie with a pin at one end that snaps into a fitting in the firewall. Not sure if this is factory or whether I also need part #10...

John S

Reaction score
I looked through a number of books I have to no avail so I checked the reproduction manual I have and on page 68 I found a picture of the CSI filter mounted on what appears to be the battery tray. For the CS there is no mention of a filter other than the mesh screen in the pump.

On my '74 3.0 csi the filter is mounted just as shown in the photo that kurtd posted. It uses the same type of fuel filter mount as on my 2002tii. The fuel filter mount is bolted under the battery tray and then the filter is clamped to it using a large hose type clamp. Not sure if it's stock or not, but that's the way it was when I bought the car.
--John

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like CSi's have the filter mounted by the batt tray and CS's back by the firewall somewhere, but where exactly? Let's see definitive pics! :mrgreen:

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen a photo of a CS firewall with a plastic clip attached to a rivet of some sort. The plastic loop was only long enough to accommodate fuel line. My early 2800 CS has neither the loop nor any provision for mounting it. However, my inline fuel filter stays put on its own just in front of the firewall; the fuel lines are sufficiently stiff (and the filter sufficiently light) to avoid unwanted movement. Perhaps there was no OEM mounting method for early CS’.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fuel Filters

Many of us rely on RealOEM to determine when parts were used based on build date, model, etc. I just when into RealOEM and searched 2800, 3.0, CSi, CSiL, CSL, Europe vs. U.S. It shows the filter and shackle (mount) as only applying to U.S. 3.0 carbed coupes from 4/71 to 7/73, it won't show up in any other searches. This just doesn't make any sense.

We can't view RealOEM as the only true and accurate source of data, it is just one source that may or may not be accurate. These metal filters were used on all injected coupes mounted on the battery tray as many owners have noted and as shown in the Blue Book repair manual as well as on the 2002 Tii.

cpeavey

Reaction score
Well, the filter and shackle mount also show up in the parts listing when I browse with the serial number of my 11/74 build date carb'd 3.0CS, so it doesn't necessarily end with '73, in spite of the notation. I used Maximillian's catalog, which taps into BMW's catalog and tends to be more accurate.

I have long puzzled over the mount, myself. I have had a metal filter for years just hanging from the fuel lines by the firewall. I would fabricate a substitute if I could figure out where it attached to the body.

Charlie

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see it listed too for my '74. I ended up buying the part off eBay. Ill take it down to CoupeKing for advice on the most likely correct place to mount it.